Itsy Bitsy M4 -- How To Configure Network Device On Mac OS "
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Itsy Bitsy M4 -- How To Configure Network Device On Mac OS "

by bcochran1 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi!

I'm checking out my Itsy Bitsy M4 Express, item #3800. My operating system is MacOS Mojave, 10.14.3, On a MacBook Pro 15 inch Retina, Mid 2014. I'm using Arduino 1.8.8 with the Itsy Bitsy.

I'm wondering how to configure the Itsy Bitsy as a network device. I'm providing a screen shot of how I configured it to this point, but as you can see, it is listed as "unconfigured".

As it is now, I was able to upload the "blink" sketch to the board and run it just fine. I changed the delay() value on the sketch, saved the sketch, and uploaded it again, and the modified sketch works fine, too. So there seems nothing actually wrong -- sketches appear to upload fine.

Still, I wonder if I need a specific network configuration for MacOS?

Thanks so much

Bob

itsy_bitsy_network_configuration.jpg
Network configuration screen for Itsy Bitsy M4 Express, on MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
itsy_bitsy_network_configuration.jpg (174.02 KiB) Viewed 86 times

bcochran1

Re: Itsy Bitsy M4 -- How To Configure Network Device On Mac

by franklin97355 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:20 pm

The Itsy-Bitsy M4 Express does not have WiFi or Bluetooth. Check out the Learning System guide.

franklin97355

by bcochran1 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,

I had indeed followed this guide, which only states that a serial/COM port is created at this point https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-adafruit-itsybitsy-m4/using-with-arduino-ide. When I plugged in my device I was repeatedly bombarded with messages that a new network device was detected. That is what prompts this post -- I need guidance on what the device configuration should be. I don't want to be prompted for network configuration each time I plug the device into USB.

The learning guide itself really needs updating to tell the user what to expect on Windows, MacOS and Linux when plugging in Itsy Bitsy devices.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

by franklin97355 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:33 pm

I'm not getting those messages but then I'm not a fluent Mac user either. I'll see if there is someone that knows more about this than I do.

franklin97355

by adafruit2 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 am

where do you see the "When I plugged in my device I was repeatedly bombarded with messages that a new network device was detected." messages? post a screenshot of that message

adafruit2
Site Admin

by westfw on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:26 am

Mac will "assume" that a new serial port device is a dial-up modem that you might be using to connect to the internet. (Because ancient history, or something.) You do not need to configure the network interface, and in fact SHOULD NOT do so.

My High Sierra Mac will offer not try to configure a serial port as a network interface, if you delete it from the "Networks" control panel. I don't remember whether Mojave does that or not...
westfw

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 am

That entry in the Network preferences is normal. Microcontrollers lightly abuse the USB modem interface to create their Serial connection to a computer.

'Unconfigured' means the Mac doesn't have a phone number or dialup connection script to make an internet connection through that device. None of that information is relevant to the ItsyBitsy though, so you can ignore it.

adafruit_support_mike

by bcochran1 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 am

Hi!

Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now after reading your replies.

The very first time I plugged in my Itsy, I did indeed get a bunch of initial popup messages stating that a new network device was found (and presumably must be configured.) It happened the second time I plugged in the Itsy, too. These messages from the operating system kept repeating over the period that the Itsy was connected to the Mac. What I didn't clearly say is that after the several nag messages about a new network device being detected, I did try to configure the device. I think I clicked a spin box and noticed the "Itsy Bitsy" device name is appearing in the list of devices, so I selected that entry, clicked "apply", and did nothing more. The "Not Configured" entry I saw on the left side of the Network Preferences list worried me, and I could see nothing about it in the tutorial, so that prompted this post.

I wanted to see about answering @adafruit2's request for a screen shot, and this gives me another mystery. It must be quirky behavior in MacOS.

I started up my MacBook (which as mentioned is on the old side, from 2014.) I connected my USB cable and then plugged in the Itsy Bitsy. There were no popups, and the blink sketch I had uploaded yesterday started working. I launched the Arduino 1.8.8 IDE, and did not get any popup messages. I changed the delay value on the blink sketch to 2 seconds, saved the sketch, and uploaded it. The sketch compiles, uploads and verifies just fine.

I thought if I deleted the "ItysyBitsy" modem entry in the Network preferences panel, and rebooted the MacBook, and then plugged in the ItsyBitsy, I would get the MacOS prompt saying a new network device is detected. But nothing happened. Here are my notes from that experiment -- to try and reproduce the popup prompts saying a new network device has been detected.

1. Plugged it in and waited. I have not started Arduino 1.8.8 yet. Sketch runs, no popup messages. No network device appears in Network preferences.
2. Start Arduino. No popup messages.
3. Change sketch and try to upload the sketch. On the bottom right corner of the Arduino IDE, I see the text "Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4 (SAMD51), enabled on /dev/cu.usbmodem14201".
4. Sketch uploads correctly and works fine.
5. After uploading, there is a "Disk Not Ejected Properly" message.

Well clearly the ItsyBitsy is working fine. Arduino is working fine, too. I'm happy.

I'll go ahead and install the battery backpack and headers and keep playing.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.