Itsy Bitsy M4 Express -- Repeated Disk Ejection Messages
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Itsy Bitsy M4 Express -- Repeated Disk Ejection Messages

by bcochran1 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi,

I'm checking out my Itsy Bitsy M4 Express, item #3800. My operating system is MacOS Mojave, 10.14.3, On a MacBook Pro 15 inch Retina, Mid 2014. I'm using Arduino 1.8.8 with the Itsy Bitsy.

When I plug my USB cable into the Itsy Bity, I get repeated messages from the operating system that the disk has not been ejected properly. I'm attaching a screen shot to show the specific message. These messages appear when I have the Arduino IDE running, and I plug in the Itsy Bitsy, but I do not click the reset button. Tapping the reset button twice will result in an icon showing up on my desktop representing a disk drive.

How do I get rid of the oft-repeated ejection messages?

As a further note, I always work in a Mac OS user account that is configured as a standard user. When I need to do administrative stuff, I log out of my account and log in to a separate account that does have administrative privileges. So device and drive access has to work when I am logged in as a standard user, which is 99.995% of the time.

Thanks so much

Bob
ejection_messages_osx_mojave.jpg
Repeated ejection messaged on MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 when Itsy Bitsy M4 is plugged in
ejection_messages_osx_mojave.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 57 times

bcochran1

Re: Itsy Bitsy M4 Express -- Repeated Disk Ejection Messages

by westfw on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am

Yes, that happens. Each time the board reboots, the mac thinks that the file-based bootloader has been ejected improperly, since you haven't explicitly ejected it. Since the board doesn't contain an actual filesystem that can be damaged, it doesn't matter, and you can ignore the messages...

(AFAIK, it's not possible for a device to tell the host system that it is rebooting, and should therefore be ejected. Unfortunately.)
westfw

Re: Itsy Bitsy M4 Express -- Repeated Disk Ejection Messages

by bcochran1 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 am

Hi!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your letting me know this is to be expected.

Bob

bcochran1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.