Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ITSY BITSY M4 NO SERIAL CONNECTION
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ITSY BITSY M4 NO SERIAL CONNECTION

by recursi0n on Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi,

I recently bought an Itsy Bitsy M4 Express but I can't seem to get any serial connection set up. Tried on multiple windows 10 systems and ubuntu. dmesg in ubuntu gives no response when I connect the Itsy Bitsy, nor is it seen as any device on the other systems. Double-pressing the reset button on the board doesn't change anything.

Will I have to manually flash it for it to work?

recursi0n

Re: ITSY BITSY M4 NO SERIAL CONNECTION

by mikeysklar on Wed May 20, 2020 3:33 pm

recursi0n,

Are you using a known good USB data cable? Not seeing any output from dmesg is really suspicious especially with the double-tap reset.

mikeysklar

by recursi0n on Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 am

I used two different usb cables that don't carry any brand. Could see if I can find something better. However, with both cables the little green LED on the board does blink slowly, but thats also the only feedback I get. Double-reset doesnt change its color to red as was expected.

recursi0n

by mikeysklar on Thu May 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Do you have any USB devices that you sink with your computer? For example I have a pair of headphones that I can drag files to. If I'm not using a USB data cable the headphones will not show up as a usable drive.

Do you have any other Adafruit boards we could confirm your cables work with? This part can be frustrating at first, but it is probably our most common issue in the forums using a non-data cable (power only).

mikeysklar

by recursi0n on Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi again,

I've tried with a few different cables. I don't have any other adafruit products, but I used my phone instead. I can detect my phone but still nothing from the board...

recursi0n

by mikeysklar on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 pm

You will still need to see the serial device to update the bootloader and bring the board back to life. We have an instructions page for the process.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... er-details

Had you installed the Adafruit drivers? Windows 10 does not require them, but if they were accidentally installed they can cause a conflict.

Did you install the Adafruit Windows Drivers package by mistake? You don't need to install this package on Windows 10 for most Adafruit boards. The old version (v1.5) can interfere with recognizing your device. Go to Settings -> Apps and uninstall all the "Adafruit" driver programs.

mikeysklar

by recursi0n on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi,

I've even tried completely reprogramming the microprocessor itself using a JLink programmer. Even with that it wasn't possible to get a proper connection. No matter what I try, the chip doesn't cooperate. At this point I've given up on this chip.

Thanks for the help and your time.

recursi0n

by ltuser on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:44 pm

I also have an Itsy Bitsy M4 that was working just fine and now suddenly it is not recognized by the USB. Using the Arduino IDE it does not show up in the Ports menu. The LED close to the USB connector on the board is lit. I pressed the reset button twice but no change. I tried unplugging and replugging the device on to the bus as well as rebooting the computer and using different ports. Nothing works. I need to know if the board needs to be replaced or if there is something I can do using my Windows 10 PC.

ltuser

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

The Itsy Bitsy M4 works on Windows 10 without the need for any driver installation.

If it was working and then stopped make sure you are still using a DATA USB cable.

If you accidentally installed Adafruit drivers you will need to remove them.

Did you install the Adafruit Windows Drivers package by mistake? You don't need to install this package on Windows 10 for most Adafruit boards. The old version (v1.5) can interfere with recognizing your device. Go to Settings -> Apps and uninstall all the "Adafruit" driver programs.

There are third party Windows programs that can interfere with the device manager detecting the board.

Windows Explorer Locks Up When Accessing boardnameBOOT Drive
On Windows, several third-party programs we know of can cause issues. The symptom is that you try to access the boardnameBOOT drive, and Windows or Windows Explorer seems to lock up. These programs are known to cause trouble:
AIDA64: to fix, stop the program. This problem has been reported to AIDA64. They acquired hardware to test, and released a beta version that fixes the problem. This may have been incorporated into the latest release. Please let us know in the forums if you test this.
Hard Disk Sentinel
Kaspersky anti-virus: To fix, you may need to disable Kaspersky completely. Disabling some aspects of Kaspersky does not always solve the problem. This problem has been reported to Kaspersky.
ESET NOD32 anti-virus: We have seen problems with at least version 9.0.386.0, solved by uninstallation.

Copying UF2 to boardnameBOOT Drive Hangs at 0% Copied
On Windows, a Western DIgital (WD) utility that comes with their external USB drives can interfere with copying UF2 files to the boardnameBOOT drive. Uninstall that utility to fix the problem.
CIRCUITPY Drive Does Not Appear
Kaspersky anti-virus can block the appearance of the CIRCUITPY drive. We haven't yet figured out a settings change that prevents this. Complete uninstallation of Kaspersky fixes the problem.
Norton anti-virus can interfere with CIRCUITPY. A user has reported this problem on Windows 7. The user turned off both Smart Firewall and Auto Protect, and CIRCUITPY then appeared.

More details here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... leshooting

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.