Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

port not showing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

port not showing

by boethos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:39 pm

I have an itsy bitsy M4. Am using the IDE. I"ve been tweaking a sketch for an MPL3115a2 (also others). then suddenly when I tried to load it to the board, the port went away.
I'm on Win 10 on a Dell Xeon and haven't had any problems. Reboot didn't help. unplug board and drain chips didn't help. When it was new I did the upgrades for CPython. Then decided to switch over to the IDE sketches for this project. Everything humming along fine, then no port. Any ideas?

boethos

Re: port not showing

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:42 pm

It sounds like you are using the Arduino IDE?

Check the Port list in the IDE and see if it might have changed to a different port.

adafruit_support_carter

by boethos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Yes. My original post stated i was

boethos

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:55 pm

IDE just means Integrated Development Environment. It does not imply Arduino.

Check the Port list in the Arduino IDE and see if it might have changed to a different port.

adafruit_support_carter

by boethos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:39 pm

It's not in the port list (I always check that), not in Device Manager on the pc. Just checked it on my hefty laptop and no port there. Plugging it in elicits "usb device not recognized".

boethos

by boethos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:41 pm

That makes a Nano, an AdaLogger feather, and now this that has died. I develop them on two laptops and a desktop, so I don't think it's the pc's.
The Itsy Bitsy now (and the Adalogger when I used it) doesn't show a CPython drive, either.

boethos

by boethos on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:59 pm

I got it back. Thanks for your help.

boethos

by carbon13 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm

I've been fighting with a disappearing port on my Mac for my Adafruit Itsybitsy 32u4 5V 16 MHz. I've developed a bit of code and have exercised the Itsybitsy a fair amount driving WS8211 LEDs. But once in a while, the port will not show when the Itsy is plugged in, and I give up for a few days. Usually, it comes back eventually without really changing anything - just replugging. I've done a lot of searching on the web and one piece of advice seemed to help. Basically, make sure the USB plug is very firmly pushed in. That seemed to work for a while, but I still occasionally cannot get the port in the Port menu (/dev/cu.usbmode14201).

I've tried about 3 or 4 different USB cables and see no differences. Like I said, sometimes I get a port, sometimes I don't. Tried restarting the Arduino IDE. Now I am wondering if the USB port is broken (munged).

I've done hours and hours of development with the Huzzah Feather boards and never had flakiness.

I have noticed that the chip gets really hot, really fast when this happens. Not sure if it gets hot any of the times I am able to see the port and upload programs.

I've ordered a second one to see if it has the same issue.

carbon13

by boethos on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Be sure you’re using a USB 2.0 port and not 3.0.
It makes a difference on a pc. Don’t know about a mac

boethos

by carbon13 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
I've ordered a second one to see if it has the same issue.

Having tested a new IstyBitsy thoroughly, I can say that problem of the disappearing port was a result of a failed microcontroller (connections in USB port?). The hot CPU seems like an important clue. Something has gone bad in that controller. The new one is rock solid.

carbon13

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.