Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Itsy Bitsy, SAMD51, and Atmel Studio7
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Itsy Bitsy, SAMD51, and Atmel Studio7

by lowrider2962 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me on this one, I know its a long post.

I'm working on programming an ATSAMD51G19A processor on a custom board with no bootloader. I developed the core program on my Itsy Bitsy M4 (same processor) and am ready to move closer to the final product. To do so I purchased a Segger J-Link EDU MINI. I hoped I would be able to simply export a binary file from Arduino IDE and directly upload it through the J-Link software tools. That unfortunately does not work. I suspect that it is because Arduino IDE is writing the binary file with memory addresses that my board does not have due to the lack of the QSPI flash chip that the Itsy M4 has. Not to mention the fact that I am not using a bootloader. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have learned how to program all of the lower level functions I need like timers, pin controls, interrupts, and PWMs via direct register control using Atmel Studio 7. I have two !!MAJOR!! obstacles ahead of me now. I need to get SPI configured and working as well as USB for live debugging. Without the use of a bootloader (for the usb part) and complex libraries for the SPI function I'm really not sure where to start. I've used the Atmel Start feature and been able to generate a file that in theory should configure SERCOM0 for SPI but have not been able to use it yet. I'm still trying to figure out the library functions for the MAX31855 thermocouple and including Arduino IDE based libraries seems like its not working. As for the USB.... I have no idea where to start. Up to this point I have been entirely self-taught. Its fair to say I'm a student of Google University and Adafruit.Learn University. In other words I consider myself a novice still. I need some help finding my way forward. I appreciate any help I can get.

For those who wish to see a current code, for now lets just say I have no code written and I want to get the Adafruit Serialthermocouple example for the MAX31855 thermocouple amplifier working on my chip without a bootloader

P.S. One option I'm unsure is possible is to create custom board for Arduino IDE that reflects the one I am building.

lowrider2962

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.