Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5V Rapidly Blinking Red out of the box

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Thinkerdad

Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5V Rapidly Blinking Red out of the box

Post by Thinkerdad »

My Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5V has been rapidly blinking red right from the start.
Initially, I connected it to an USB power cable (like one would with the UNO), and it was blinking red rapidly (3-4 times per second).
I then tried to connect it to my Win10 PC, but it would not show up in the device manager. Also installed the drivers, but to no avail.
If the reset button is pressed twice, it seems to go into bootloader mode (red LED fading in and out), but it would not mount. Tried it from a different PC and no luck.
If connected without USB to 5V, the same happens. - Rapidly blinking red right from the start.
Is this broken or am I doing something wrong? Just don't want to needlessly waste time.
Love the form factor though :-)

mikeysklar

Re: Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5V Rapidly Blinking Red out of the box

Post by mikeysklar »

Hi Thinkerdad,

Have you installed the Windows drivers? Our modern chips do not need them, but the 32u4 based boards do.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducting ... 2979293-22

Make sure your USB cable is a data cable.

Once detected by the device manager you can move onto loading the blink code.
If you ever get in a 'weird' spot with the bootloader, or you have uploaded code that crashes and doesn't auto-reboot into the bootloader, click the RST button to get back into the bootloader. The red LED will pulse, so you know that its in bootloader mode. Do the reset button press right as the Arduino IDE says its attempting to upload the sketch, when you see the Yellow Arrow lit and the Uploading... text in the status bar.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”