Hallowing M0 charging with USB while power switch is off

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GenesisWaffle

Hallowing M0 charging with USB while power switch is off

Post by GenesisWaffle »

So looking at directions I read the statement

"There's two ways to power your Hallowing. The best
way is to plug in a 3.7/4.2V Lipoly battery into the JST 2-
PH port. You can then recharge the battery over the
Micro USB jack. You can also just run the board directly
from Micro USB, it will automatically 'switch over' to USB
power when that's plugged in"

I have done just that and using all adafruit components I have my lipoly connected and microUSB into charger. Will the battery charge with the Hallowing switch turned off? I have a solid yellow light (with the hallowing off) and didn't know if the Hallowing needed to be running / turned-on for the battery to charge? Also is there any changed indicator? I want to charge up the battery so it can be worn for a bit and not have to have it connected to the USB. If not some indicator light is there a console option or do I need to grab the multimeter and take some measurements? Also, thinking ahead could I add something into code to change the display if the battery needs charging?

New to this so thanks for the help!

dastels

Re: Hallowing M0 charging with USB while power switch is off

Post by dastels »

Yes, it will charge with the switch set to "off". The switch controls the 3.3v regulator that powers the SAMD21 and connected circuitry. The charger is connected directly to the USB 5v and the battery. If the orange LED is lit, the battery is being charged.

Dave

GenesisWaffle

Post by GenesisWaffle »

Awesome. So I assume when the orange light goes out the battery is fully charged? Right now I have it connected to my laptop but was going to switch to an apple charger so I can un-tether myself

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes, when the orange LED turns off, it's charged and the charger shuts down (so it won't overcharge the battery).

Dave

GenesisWaffle

Post by GenesisWaffle »

dastels wrote:Yes, when the orange LED turns off, it's charged and the charger shuts down (so it won't overcharge the battery).

Dave
I was coming back to update that I answered my own question as it went off but you did as well. Super awesome! Now is it possible to track the voltage programmatically? I want to add a tracker into my code so when its time to charge I can have the display update and play a WAV. Was looking around for device information but still new to this hardware

dastels

Post by dastels »

There's a voltage divider all set up for you to read the battery voltage, connected to A6. Just read analog values from that. The values will correspond to the battery voltage.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”