Windows 10 not recognizing ports when Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V 8MH
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Windows 10 not recognizing ports when Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V 8MH

by blushingbeeboy on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm

When plugging in an itsy bitsy 32u4 3V 8MHz model I get the arduino program error message: couldn't find a board on the selected port

Thing is, I've done a lot of troubleshooting and have gotten it to work/recognize before, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong this time around.
My computer recognizes an arduino Uno when it's plugged in, but not the itsy bitsy. I have downloaded all related libraries for the itsy bitsy.

So far here are the things I've tried:
Restarting/resetting computer
Updating the Arduino software
Updating drivers
Getting a USB 2 hub (this solved the problem last time)
Switching around usb cables, using ones I'm certain are not charge only
Trying to update port/usb drivers
Hitting the reset button before and/or during the compiling/sending process
Trying every single usb port and usb hub port
Showing hidden devices on devices manager and seeing if it even shows up (it doesn't)
Trying three of the same board (one straight out of packaging) to make sure this one isn't a dud

My computer makes the device insert/remove sound when I plug it in attatched to the usb hub, so I know on some level it "sees" it- and again, the Uno is working fine. The itsy bitsy lights up and blinks continuously but won't give me the rapid blink it would during the download process.

So far, nothing has worked. I spent about an hour with my professor on this and we still couldn't get it working. Anything I'm not doing/should be doing differently?

blushingbeeboy

Re: Windows 10 not recognizing ports when Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V

by mikeysklar on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm

@blushingbeeboy,

It sounds like you have tried most of our usual tricks. Thank you for taking the time to look them all up.

I don't think Windows 10 requires any additional drivers be installed for this board to be recognized. They should be built-in.

I think you can do a bit more troubleshooting with the device manager.

I unplugged all "arduino" devices and then in windows device manager selected view->show hidden devices and view->devices by container. I then uninstalled all of the itsybitsy and sparkfun devices. Then I rebooted the computer.

At this point things were still not detecting properly so I put together a sketch for a simple joystick test and loaded it onto a new itsybitsy 32u4. After, this new itsybitsy booted back up it was discovered as a game controller. I sequentially unplugged and plugged in all of my test articles, the sparkfun pro micro, the first itsybitsy 32u4 and this new bare itsybitsy.

So it comes down to some weirdness in Windows 10 USB device detection.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=175176&p=853499&hilit=windows+10+itsybitsy+32u4#p853499

mikeysklar

by blushingbeeboy on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Solved! I uninstalled previous ardunio devices as well as my usb hub, and then let the computer re-detect them. This seemed to solve the problem! The only other bump I ran into was "Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding" but with trial and error I found that double clicking the reset button during uploading fixed it. Not clicking once before or after, nor holding, but specifically double clicking during the upload. I'm so happy that everything is in working order now. Thanks again! This was driving me crazy!

blushingbeeboy

by mikeysklar on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 am

Good job uninstalling the old devices. Glad that resolved it. I'm surprised the USB hub had to be removed as well.

Double click during upload is the norm for 32u4 boards. Not so intuitive.

mikeysklar

by Dross61 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:38 pm

Oh I am so indebted to you.
I have, excuse me, HAD 3 MKR1010 bricked up and the double click brought them back.

blushingbeeboy wrote:Solved! I uninstalled previous ardunio devices as well as my usb hub, and then let the computer re-detect them. This seemed to solve the problem! The only other bump I ran into was "Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding" but with trial and error I found that double clicking the reset button during uploading fixed it. Not clicking once before or after, nor holding, but specifically double clicking during the upload. I'm so happy that everything is in working order now. Thanks again! This was driving me crazy!

Dross61

by upnorthtek on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm

When you are using pretty much any version of MS Windows, devices plugged into a us be port will be assigned a com-port, be it com 2 or any of the other virtual comports 9 ~ ?. Go to the control panel settings/Device manager [in the top file menu option "select (Show Hidden devices)"] you will see that an x number of comports as being assigned (light gray, versus Dark gray active devices) a com-port. You can un-install the (light gray) device on the com-port freeing up virtual com-ports.
Not all windows programs will recognize virtual com-ports above com-port 8.
When you are finished un-installing all the allocated com-ports that your device will be assigned the next vacant com-port.

upnorthtek

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.