M4 Halloween edition RIP
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

M4 Halloween edition RIP

by phodis on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 pm

> I am a noob to this 100%... I ordered the m4 blinking eye, and while processing the order I thought I had to buy a 3.7v Lipo battery to go with it.... I am still guessing this is the case.
Long story short, I got a new Lipo battery 700ma 3.7v with the right sized plug..plugged it in and puff.. burned my thumb and got that lovely electrical burning smell as a bonus. I am guessing now, that I could have simply plugged it into a freaking USB port to see it work. Such a shame I miss understood that simply plugging in the right voltage battery (correctly polarized) would cause it to go up in smoke. I still don't think I did anything wrong, it's just my damned luck...anyways, ... onto the next project.

phodis

Re: M4 Halloween edition RIP

by dastels on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Are you sure it's correctly polarized. Can you post a photo of the connector on the battery wires? And of the labelled side of that battery?

Dave

dastels

by phodis on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 am

Hi there,
Yes it was absolutely polarized correctly. The way the plug from the battery is molded it could only go in one way. It was a comedy of errors; after it burned my thumb, I dropped it and it landed on my sons toy car, cracking the screen (which at that point I could not see as it looked fine).
Then I thought, maybe I can just plug it in via USB, (maybe it was still alive)... as looking at it, screen it look 100% ok although it smelt...but it lit up much to my surprise, and to my dismay the screen illuminated and revealed the damage it had taken from the drop; and it had suffered multiple fractures, invisible until illuminated. At this point only half the screen lit, and there was no picture at all.
It also automatically opened a directory on the PC showing multiple folders. It really looked like a good thing, but as it was damaged I figured no one will believe me anyways so I have since thrown it out. I don't expect a replacement, but I might buy another one when the wife approves. I was honestly thinking it needed a battery to work (maybe it does), but it looks like it would have been fine on USB if only I had have realized it before hand!!. I just figured as while in the cart on checking out, a battery option was there and I focused on that, and completely overlooked the possibility of it even working on USB. I ordered the battery from Amazon a few days after I bought this unit, and it did fit perfectly.
I have no idea why it burned so quick, looking at the board there was no sign of any burn, but it had that really bad electrical smell, and part of it got so hot I literally dropped it.
That's it in a nutshell.
Thanks for the response, no need to go any further. I feel like an idiot already lol, it wasn't all that expensive so I am not going to pursue it. I'm just putting it down to my bad luck.
Cheers tho for the response.
Glen.

phodis

by dastels on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:30 am

The plug only goes in one way, yes, but the wires are connected oppositely on some models of LiPo. Where did you get the battery? I see Adafruit doesn't sell a 700mAh one.

Adafruit LiPos are guaranteed to be wired to match Adafruit boards. Compare this to your battery: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/1200x900/4237-01.jpg

Dave

dastels

by phodis on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 am

Hi there,
I got the battery from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TX ... UTF8&psc=1
It was a perfect fit, the plug is the same so I have no idea.
Cheers Glen.

phodis

by adafruit2 on Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 pm

yah...it is not the correct polarity. look carefully at
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1578
we warn people here
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... ep-3040237
there's no way to protect against reverse-wired batteries.

adafruit2
Site Admin

by phodis on Sun May 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Ohh, my bad luck then I guess. I would have assumed a small diode would have been there to protect the circuit if this was a known issue.
Sucks that anyone that doesn't really look into this, or reasonably expects the plugs to be connected the same way on standard fittings is in for a bad surprise.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

phodis

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.