Writeable in Windows, read-only in Ubuntu
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Writeable in Windows, read-only in Ubuntu

by OutstandingBill on Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 am

My ItsyBitsy M4 stopped being writeable this evening while connected to an Ubuntu machine. To avoid ambiguity, when I say "writeable" I mean the Ubuntu machine can write to the Itsy; and when I say "read-only", I mean the Ubuntu machine cannot write to the Itsy, but the Itsy can write to itself.

My project requires the board to write to its own storage, so I had been frequently toggling between having it writeable and read-only (push code while writeable, test code while read-only, repeat ad infinitum). Nothing about the environment changed, as far as I'm aware, when it stopped being able to boot into a writeable state.

While investigating, and still on the Ubuntu host, I noticed that double-reset does not get me into bootloader mode. Instead I get the rapidly-flashing red LED indicating no USB connection.

I tried connecting it to a Windows machine, and was able to write to it from there. While connected to the Windows machine, I modified my boot.py so that it now looks like this:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
import board
import digitalio
import storage

switch = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.A5)
switch.direction = digitalio.Direction.INPUT
switch.pull = digitalio.Pull.UP

# storage.remount("/", not switch.value)

But even with that line commented out, it still won't boot in a writeable state when connected to Ubuntu. I've recently run updates for the OS, which has always been Ubuntu 20.04 (the Long Term Support version).

Any advice? I realise this sounds a lot like it's a Ubuntu issue, since Windows is working OK. I'm just hoping someone here might have some useful advice : )

OutstandingBill

Re: Writeable in Windows, read-only in Ubuntu

by OutstandingBill on Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 am

Further info on this, which I think makes it look more like a problem with the board rather than the OS. I've been experimenting with an Itsy M0 and another Ubuntu machine.

My Itsy M0 is writeable on both Ubuntu machines. The Itsy M4 is read-only on both Ubuntu machines.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

OutstandingBill

Re: Writeable in Windows, read-only in Ubuntu

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Weird behavior. Might be worth backing up anything you have in your CIRCUITPY folder and then trying this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... 2987288-25

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.