Itsy Bitsy M0 Fails to Enter Bootloader Mode

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jorrojj

Itsy Bitsy M0 Fails to Enter Bootloader Mode

Post by jorrojj »

I recently bought a new Itsy Bitsy M0 through Digikey for some prototyping, but when connecting the device over USB to my Windows 10 PC and double clicking the reset button, the dot star does not turn on as expected. Here's what I've tried so far:
  1. Connecting an Itsy Bitsy 32u4 on the same USB cable to confirm it's a sync capable cable: works
  • Checking if device shows up on Device Manager or as disk drive: doesn't work
  • Probing 5V and 3.3V rails: 5.1V & 3.295V
Attachments
S20210517_0004.jpg
S20210517_0004.jpg (626.56 KiB) Viewed 418 times
itsybitsym0_nodrive.JPG
itsybitsym0_nodrive.JPG (27.64 KiB) Viewed 418 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Itsy Bitsy M0 Fails to Enter Bootloader Mode

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

First, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer. There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals.

Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value. It's normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before they found one that worked. You need the true positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

jorrojj

Post by jorrojj »

Connecting an Itsy Bitsy 32u4 on the same USB cable to confirm it's a sync capable cable: works
Hi Mike,

I mentioned on the original post that I used the SAME USB cable on an Itsy Bitsy 32u4 and it worked. I've already confirmed it's NOT a charge-only cable.

Best,

adafruit_support_mike

Does anything happen when you double-click the reset button?

jorrojj

Post by jorrojj »

Nothing happens when i double click the reset button: the dotstar doesn't turn on, nor I hear the Microsoft sound from mounting serial device.

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you. Combined with the supply voltages and the lack of response from a reset means there's probably something wrong with the microcontroller's USB hardware.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”