ISP pin Identification

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magno_grail

ISP pin Identification

Post by magno_grail »

There is an ISP header on the Metro M4 board but no indication which is pin #1. I want to use an STK500 programmer. Thanks.

blnkjns

Re: ISP pin Identification

Post by blnkjns »

You mean these pins:
The 5V and GND pins are easiest to find the correct orientation if pins are labelled differently.
Or the SWD connector below, which has pin 1 marked with the triangle and is for debugging:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... 51/pinouts (bottom of the page)
Some more debugging info:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=140725

magno_grail

Post by magno_grail »

Thanks, that is the same order as the STK500. However, the MOSI, CLK, MISO and /RESET pins are connected directly to D11, D12, D13 and PIN52 so the signals should be 3.3V, yes? It appears the STK500 should be set to 3.3V for programming.
Should I just connect the MOSI, CLK, MISO and GND pins to the STK500 and use the power jack to power the M4 board? The power pin marked +5V is connected to both the output of the 5V regulator NCP1117 and the input of the 3.3V regulator AP2112K so is applying 5V to that pin is not recommended?
The STK500 applies the same voltage to the SPI and power pins. The drop out voltage of the AP2212K is 1.0-1.3V.

moonie223

Post by moonie223 »

Is that not an AVR debugger?

The metro M4 uses a ARM core, not AVR. You cannot debug or program through SPI, pretty sure you can't use that debugger either.

I think the cheapest option available is the Jlink mini edu, then your debugger will plug right into the SWD debugging port under the confusing "ICSP" pins. The comparable Atmel/Microchip offering is the ICE, which is also an AVR programmer/debugger.

magno_grail

Post by magno_grail »

I did not see that the SAM chips use SWD, not the ISP. It looks like the Atmel ICE BASIC would be best as it also would replace the STK500 and Dragon. I already have Studio 7.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”