Matrix Portal M4 Chinese LED Matrix Support

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cerridwen

Matrix Portal M4 Chinese LED Matrix Support

Post by Cerridwen »

Good Day!

I know this is likely an impossibility with the Matrix Portal but I have unfortunately been shipped some 128*64 led matrix displays that only contain ABC address lines. It would seem from reading about after receiving them, that these new Chinese panels are becoming more commonplace. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285535 ... 4c4dwbrLIO

I did speak to the seller before about them being hub75e and subsequently having them delivered as not...

Is there any way the Matrix Portal M4 can support these sort of panels?

I have a picture of the matrix portal eyes script [kobold] and get something like this Image

blnkjns

Re: Matrix Portal M4 Chinese LED Matrix Support

Post by blnkjns »

It is basically about having enough pins wired up, and knowing how to time the signals. The connector seems compatible, I think the M4 has enough oomph, so it might me just a software thing to get things going. Maybe you can check PiPico or Teensy solutions, as those boards have a lot of users writing low level drivers for basically anything. Teensy 4 will definitely be able to tackle this.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The photo above looks like the display is interlaced.

If there are only three address lines, it suggests the display wants 8 rows of data per row address. That's 1024 bits, which is a round number in computer terms.

Try bit-banging the protocol that way and see if you can map the display to the data.. send 512 bits of red then 512 of blue, then 256 red, 256 off, 256 green, and 256 blue, etc. Keep working down in smaller chunks until you know where the data stream goes in the matrix.

You'll probably have to write your own code to run them, but you can use our own matrix code as a starting point.

Cerridwen

Post by Cerridwen »

Sorry for the delayed reply

I have currently got these running with a RPi and the hzeller rpi-rgb-led-matrix scripts and working with ./demo -D4 --led-rows=64 --led-cols=128 --led-chain=1 --led-pwm-bits=11 --led-scan-mode=0 --led-brightness=100 --led-row-addr-type=3 --led-slowdown-gpio=2 --led-show-refresh led-parallel=3

I am a bit in over my head currently it seems!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”