itsy bitsy M0 problems

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shakan09

itsy bitsy M0 problems

Post by shakan09 »

hey friends, im pretty new to this hobby, circuit python, and programming in general, but I have decent experience with linux and LEDs. So i picked up a handful of boards from digikey to play with and sadly my itsy bitsy M0 is giving me problems.

my first problem was that my itsy bitsy wouldnt mount as circuitpy, It would mount as 28mb drive or some such name with all the correct directories and files but no code would execute. I downloaded and flashed 6.3.0. a couple times with no effect. I then tried flashing the update bootloader 3.7.0.uf2 also with no effect. I then connected to REPL and did the storage erase file system command, after that reboot the itsy bitsy mounted as circuitpy.

however now I dont have permissions to write anything in circuitpy as a user, only root has permissions, sort of... I can sudo write scripts to code.py, but i cant get any libraries to transfer and cant drag and drop .uf2 updates. also mu doesnt detect the itsy bitsy as being connected. the led is also currently cycling 2 second green 2 second orange/yellow then 6 flashes of a blue/green possibly cyan

im having lots of fun with circuit python on the other boards I got but I would like to get my itsty bitsy M0 working

im currently on a rasp pi4 8gb if that makes a difference.

dastels

Re: itsy bitsy M0 problems

Post by dastels »

If you're seeing the error code color flashing you should see an error message in the REPL.

Try the erase filesystem commands again. That should fix the issue with writing. You definitely shouldn't need to use root. Being on a Pi 4 should make a difference as far as I know. It works as expected on Ubuntu.

Dave

shakan09

Post by shakan09 »

dastels wrote:If you're seeing the error code color flashing you should see an error message in the REPL.

Try the erase filesystem commands again. That should fix the issue with writing. You definitely shouldn't need to use root. Being on a Pi 4 should make a difference as far as I know. It works as expected on Ubuntu.

Dave
there was no error in REPL

ran the erase commands, the device rebooted them mounted as CIRCUITPY but almost the same results, write permissions are set to root, mu doesnt detect the device. the led is pulsing green now.

I just got a itsy m4 and trinket m0 in the mail today, ill try and set those up real fast and see if the problem is only with the itsy m0 or not. ive been using circuit python with the rasp pi pico without any problems.

shakan09

Post by shakan09 »

ok itsy m4 is having a similar problem. it turned on and mounted, permissions were set to root. I noticed the bootloader was v2 so I updated it to 3.13 then confirmed update. then flashed 6.3 for the m4.

circuitpy mounts, permissions are set to root and the only file is boot_out.txt which confirms version is 6.3

I even did it 3 separate times with fresh downloads.

pico, xiao, and tiny 2040 all confirmed to be correct permissions and running.

maybe ill try reflashing the m0 and m4 on my laptop running puppy linux to rule out the pi as the problem

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes, it sounds like it's not the specific board. I agree that the next suspect is the Pi. Let me know how it goes on a different computer. I would look into whether it could be a permissions issue.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”