Matrix Portal M4 not connecting (Windows, Arduino

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joelwmorton

Matrix Portal M4 not connecting (Windows, Arduino

Post by joelwmorton »

I received the board 9-29-21 (didn't have time to do anything with it until yesterday, 10/3/21) Order ID: 2664740-8934443150

I'm having the same problem(s) as
tymerones (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=183748&p=892540&hi ... M4#p892540) and
AdamTheGreat viewtopic.php?f=62&t=183701

After reading through their threads I suspect the board is bad, but I'm willing to do some additional troubleshooting.

I've tried three USB-C cables, including one known-good data cable (tested with my phone, transferring data in both directions immediately prior to the attempt to connect the Matrix), three computers, including trying both the Arduino IDE and Mu/CircuitPython. I successfully tested the Arduino IDE with an known-good Arduino Uno board connected to the same USB ports as I've tried to connect the Matrix Portal (via USB A-B cable, but as mentioned I'm using a known-good USB-C data cable).

On all three computers, Windows doesn't detect the MatrixPortal M4 (the board doesn't have a port assignment and there's no audio cue from Windows when I plug or unplug the board), there's no communication between the MatrixPortal M4 and Arduino IDE, the board's reset button does nothing whether connected to the computer or a 5V supply, nor does connecting the RST pin to GND on the board. The NeoPixel never lights, only the 5V & 3.3V LEDs light.

I've made sure that the Arduino IDE on all three computers I've tried has had the SAMD board tools from Arduino and Adafruit installed as directed. The installation for the Adafruit packages resulted in an error: . . . packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.7.5\post_install.bat not trusted so I went in and ran the post_install.bat as Administrator, which didn't throw an error, then rebooted and tried again with no success.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Matrix Portal M4 not connecting (Windows, Arduino

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Just to double check your reset button tests - did you try double pressing reset to put the board in bootloader mode?

joelwmorton

Post by joelwmorton »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Just to double check your reset button tests - did you try double pressing reset to put the board in bootloader mode?
Yes - I've tried pressing, double pressing, slowly double pressing, quickly double pressing, and so on. The power LEDs never even flickered, and the neopixel stayed off.

adafruit_support_carter

The power LEDs never even flickered, and the neopixel stayed off.
This sounds different than behavior described in first post. Before, the power LEDs were at least coming on?
The NeoPixel never lights, only the 5V & 3.3V LEDs light.
Now those are not even lighting up? They have nothing to do with the reset button. They are simply power indicators, so should come on with just power.

joelwmorton

Post by joelwmorton »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
The power LEDs never even flickered, and the neopixel stayed off.
This sounds different than behavior described in first post. Before, the power LEDs were at least coming on?
The NeoPixel never lights, only the 5V & 3.3V LEDs light.
Now those are not even lighting up? They have nothing to do with the reset button. They are simply power indicators, so should come on with just power.
Sorry for not communicating clearly. The first post was correctly worded: The 5V and 3.3V LEDs are lit and steady as long as the board has power.
I was trying to say that they never turn off, not that they don't come on.

adafruit_support_carter

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. Let's replace it. If you still have the bag/bubble wrap the Matrix Portal came in with the white label sticker on it, can you please post a photo of the sticker. It has an Adafruit logo and some bar codes and stuff.

For the replacement, send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you another Matrix Portal.

joelwmorton

Post by joelwmorton »

Image as requested.
Matrix Portal M4 with packaging label
Matrix Portal M4 with packaging label
20211005_175849.jpg (455.49 KiB) Viewed 340 times

adafruit_support_carter

Yep, that's the sticker. Thank you very much for the photo!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”