Two Itsy Bitsy M4 Express Boards Bricked

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
atzouris

Two Itsy Bitsy M4 Express Boards Bricked

Post by atzouris »

Just received two Itsy Bitsy M4 Express boards earlier this week and it appears that they are bricked.

My definition of bricked is as follows:
- plugging USB into either Linux or Windows 10 Pro does not enumerate the USB-to-Serial port
- plugging into Windows 10 and double clicking the reset button does not mount a USB drive
- checking 3.3V with the USB cable provides a MultiMeter of DC Volts of 3.3 V

With the first board I was able to
- Run CircuitPy and Mu
- Run Arduino LED blinking application
- Tried Microchip Studio but did not have any luck figuring out how to find the blinking led application for MicroChip Studio
- Disconnected the USB cable and connected 3.3V (with 0.5A max current limit) and connected JLINK Pro and sucessfully flash/run blinking led application with MPLAB X compiled application

Then the application stopped running on load/run and then after that the board just stopped working all together with the USB not enumerating (of course removed 3.3V Power Supply at that point).

Then switched to the second board and ... upon power on the green? multicolor led? started to blink Green and then fairly quickly descended intensity to darkness never to return. Then this second board as well entered my definition of bricked state.

If there is a way to reflash the internal application (or bootloader) that includes USB support then I should be able to flash it with my JLINK SWD probe.

Good news is that 3.3V is good which probably indicates that the regulator is working as the Voltage is sourced from 5V USB (when USB is used).

If the board is recoverable then I suspect that the internal flash bootloader (or application) has been erased. If this recoverable task is possible, can you please guide me on reflashing the internal bootloader (or application) into the internal flash ?

atzouris

Re: Two Itsy Bitsy M4 Express Boards Bricked

Post by atzouris »

Success. Solved. Recovered both boards by re-flashing the bootloader via Microchip Studio and JLINK.

For some odd reason was not able to find the following link yesterday.

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... pdf#page17

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Two Itsy Bitsy M4 Express Boards Bricked

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Sounds like you got these working.

The original issue is a little confusing. It sounds like they initially worked since you could use CP/Mu and Arduino. Maybe something with the use of Microchip Studio?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”