ItsyBoot Labeled CircuityPy and Doesn't Work

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kagiac

ItsyBoot Labeled CircuityPy and Doesn't Work

Post by kagiac »

I bought a Itsy Bitsy M4 Express and a 1.8" TFT SPI display with a SD Card holder ( Product ID: 358 - no joystick). I have the display wired correctly using a breadboard but the drive doesn't show up as ItsyBitsyBoot, it appears as a drive named "CircuitPy". I dragged the uf2 file and the green light fades in and out but after resetting it, it's still called Circuit Py and the board stays dark. I've tried this on two Windows machines.

I've checked the wiring repeatedly and the monitor lights up if I move the wire from A5 to the 3.3 v power rail. I've confirmed that the power and ground rail are working and wired properly.

I'd appreciate some help with this.

Thanks!
Karen Giacopuzzi
[email protected]
Order # 2752557-9821112326 - Shipped

kagiac

Re: ItsyBoot Labeled CircuityPy and Doesn't Work

Post by kagiac »

This is Karen with an update. I clicked the reset button twice and after several attempts, the drive name changed to ARCD-51. This seemed promising. However, I never saw the original screen that says D51 on a green background with the download graphic below it.

When choosing hardware in MakeCode Arcade I tried using both the Adafruit M4 board and the ARCD-51 in Make Code but neither worked. When I connected the board to MakeCode Arcade it thinks the board is a feather and the games don't download. Are there instructions somewhere for which hardware choice to use?

Also when I plug in the board, there are no lights on, which may be normal?

There are three files in the drive CURRENT.UF2, INDEX (which just opens MakeCode Arcade), and INFO_UF2 which says this even though I downloaded the ItsyBitsy bootloader file.

UF2 Bootloader v3.2.2 SFHWRO
Model: Feather Arcade D51
Board-ID: SAMD51J19A-Feather-Arcade-D51

Thank you in advance.
Karen

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Did you update the bootloader on this board at some point during your trials? The boot drive should say ITSYM4BOOT, not ARCD-D51.
It sounds like you updated the bootloader with the bootloader mentioned here: https://learn.adafruit.com/makecode-arc ... bootloader. But that bootloader is for a Feather M4, not an ItsyBitsy M4, and the connections to the LEDs are different.

When a MakeCode iprogram s running, you only need to press the reset button once to get to the BOOT drive.

If you see CIRCUITPY now, you can double-click the RESET button, so you get ARCD-D51, and drag a new Feather M4 version of CircuitPython to it.

Is it your intention to try to use MakeCode Arcade or CircuitPython? There isn't support for using an ItsyBitsy M4 with MakeCode Arcade. We can restore the original bootloader on your board, if that is what you want.

kagiac

Post by kagiac »

Thanks for your reply. My intent is to use the itsy bitsy with the 1.8" display with MakeCode Arcade. There is a tutorial for that here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/makecode-arc ... m4-express.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”