new board manager v1.3.0 problem?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit2

Re: new board manager v1.3.0 problem?

Post by adafruit2 »

they'll be back in a few days.
older arduino ide isnt going to help, you can manually install for now - check the instructions
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_nRF52_Arduino

hathach

Post by hathach »

antonelliCP wrote:I believe that the boards manager is still broken, or broken in a new way. I have the correct json link, but there is an error downloading the gcc compiler
Boards manager states:
Error downloading https://github.com/adafruit/arduino-boa ... -win32.zip

Quick search for this file from browser shows that the file is not found.
I just checked that https://github.com/adafruit/arduino-boa ... -win32.zip is still downloadable. It is probably network issue and/or caching issue on your local machine. Could you try to remove
- all the zip files in the arduino15/staging folder
- arduino15/packages/hardware/adafruit/nrf52 folder

Then try to reinstall the nrf52 1.3.0 package again. If it is still the issue, would you mind trying this out on another machine (if you have one) to make sure it isn’t the arduino15 caching issue on your local machine

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

Any idea when these (missing in github/release) files will be available?

hathach

Post by hathach »

antonelliCP wrote:Any idea when these (missing in github/release) files will be available?
have you tried my clean up suggestion in previous reply

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

I'm not able to use my nrf52840 feather express boards because the boards manager download is not working (a file referenced on github is missing). Is there an outlook as to when this important, and useful information will be correctly working?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its working for other folks, we think your arduino IDE got corrupted. may be best to delete the arduino15 folder and restart arduino to install the BSP you need

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

I'd like to believe that this is the problem, that my Arduino IDE is corrupted. However, a collegue of mine is seeing the same issue on a completely different PC, indicating that it isnt an error in my install.

However, In my previous posting on this was a bit unclear:
The error that I see is that a file cannot be reached at github.com /adafruit-board-index/releases/download/build tools....

A quick look at github.com/adafruit/arduino-board-index shows me no "releases" sub directory, which is why the package manager fails.

To me, and maybe I'm crazy, this indicates missing files

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

Hello:

1) I deleted Arduino15 directory, uninstalled and reinstalled. 1.18.19 version. Same problem.
Boards manager doesn't find file in github path /release
2) I will try this all on another PC.

Since the hypothesis is that my installation is corrupted, I'll provide evidence that I see that there is a problem. Of course, if the "/releases" directory is somehow selectively blocked for me (which admittedly would match the problems that I see).

Evidence:
I've placed an image of "download_error.JPG" showing the download missing file.
I've placed an image of the github repo directory. Note that I don't see /releases

What would you suggest?
Attachments
download_error.JPG
download_error.JPG (216.55 KiB) Viewed 104 times
github_missing_release_directory.JPG
github_missing_release_directory.JPG (94.92 KiB) Viewed 104 times

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

Continuing findings here:

1) I can make the Adafruit nRF52 board package (v1.3) install on my older Windows-10 laptop. This laptop has Arduino 1.18.12 installed. (the system that doesn't work has Arduino 1.18.19 installed).

2) However, previous Arduino IDE downloads have a known Apache-Log4j security vulnerability. I updated the IDE on the new Laptop in December 2021 as reccomended by Arduino. https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/art ... ache-Log4j

So: I have a workaround right now (use the older laptop for this, and avoid secure transactions) on this 2nd PC.

My thoughts:
A: while others are making this work, I wonder if I'm the only person using the new 1.18.19 IDE with the security flaw fixed.
B: Potentially, my working (Old laptop) system already had all the needed files downloaded already
C: My other PC may, and probably does have a different connectivity and virus protection setup (but I'm at the same connection point)
D: Perhaps, as you say, this is network issues that I have.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

thanks that does help narrow it down, we'll try the latest IDE

hathach

Post by hathach »

@antonelliCP thanks for more info
- github repo of nrf52 is code-only and does not include the release package for arduino. That is totally normal there.
- I have tried with 1.8.19 on my windows 10 machine with a clean/removed cached. Everything works just fine. Since it is download error on your new pc, while old pc download just fine. The package is definitely online and reachable, it is only somehow "blocked" on your new pc as you said. Would you mind provide a bit more info as below for troubleshooting
1. Does your PC need to use any proxy to access internet
2. Does your PC is work PC, and you are installing package from your company. (IT company can have some restriction on internet access)
3. The failed download in your screenshot, include the link to the package, would you mind trying to type it into your browser to see if it is downloadable without IDE.
4. How do you install arduino IDE, if you installed it from windows store, please remove it ,and download the exe file directly from https://www.arduino.cc/en/software (win 7 and newer). There are issue report with store version previously.
5. Can provide screenshot of following folder contents
- Arduino15/staging/packages
- Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools

Note: at 3) if you could download package with paste link to your browser, you could just copy the downloaded into Arduino15/staging/packages, arduino IDE could pick up from there.

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

I will again try these instructions.

On any computer that I go to (company or not) the following link is unavailable

https://github.com/adafruit/arduino-boa ... -win32.zip

I don't see how blocking can do that - but I'll test a different download path

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

found_files.JPG
found_files.JPG (54.75 KiB) Viewed 93 times
I see that the file in question is github, so it seems like the search path that I'm using fails.
I'm relatively sure that uninstall and reinstall doesn't fix this today. I've tried several times and deleted arduino15 library.

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

Ok. You asked for some things that I'll try to answer in one posting:
- I have tried with 1.8.19 on my windows 10 machine with a clean/removed cached. Everything works just fine. Since it is download error on your new pc, while old pc download just fine. The package is definitely online and reachable, it is only somehow "blocked" on your new pc as you said. Would you mind provide a bit more info as below for troubleshooting

(filein https://github.com/adafruit/arduino-boa ... -win32.zip) is not accessable on other pcs.

(even the one with the working installation of "Adafruit nRF52 board" has file not found when trying this link.
Does this link work for you?

1. Does your PC need to use any proxy to access internet

No

2. Does your PC is work PC, and you are installing package from your company. (IT company can have some restriction on internet access)

This is a work PC - and we do have restrictions - this could be in play.

3. The failed download in your screenshot, include the link to the package, would you mind trying to type it into your browser to see if it is downloadable without IDE.

File not found

4. How do you install arduino IDE, if you installed it from windows store, please remove it ,and download the exe file directly from https://www.arduino.cc/en/software (win 7 and newer). There are issue report with store version previously.

I repeated the Arduino15 delete and reinstall. Same thing.

5. Can provide screenshot of following folder contents
- Arduino15/staging/packages
screen1.JPG
screen1.JPG (105.99 KiB) Viewed 92 times
- Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools - I don't have an "adafruit/tools" directory at this point in the install
screen2.JPG
screen2.JPG (47.86 KiB) Viewed 92 times

antonelliCP

Post by antonelliCP »

I'm rereading all the documentation and I'm realizing that since the IDE installer isn't working, you are recommending that manually install the BSP via git, which seems like the right action.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... port-setup

However, I think that the compiler install is where this is failing and the install steps require that this be inplace, and the core nRF52 folder is deleted and updated.

So: I don't have a solution to this today.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”