Custom pcb failing Itsy Bitsy M0

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rubble

Custom pcb failing Itsy Bitsy M0

Post by rubble »

I have created a custom pcb for a project and have the Itsy Bitsy soldered to it. If I run the code though a USB plugged into the Itsy Bitsy all works well. If I unplug the usb and put it into the USB I have on my pcb it fails after a while with the red LED flashing twice.
I am unable to fault find as I don't have any output as my USB is only 5V and 0V - it is the same lead attached to my PC.

I seem to remember having a similar problem when I tried powering the Itsy Bitsy off a power only 5V supply. Is something trying to communicate with my PC or is it a hardware problem? My code isn't trying to communicate but it could be one of the libraries?
I have the boot code installed to allow writing to a file and these libraries:
import rotaryio
import board
import digitalio
import neopixel
from time import sleep

If the communication is not a problem I can post more details of the code and my pcb schematic

alpierce

Re: Custom pcb failing Itsy Bitsy M0

Post by alpierce »

You will need to post the code you are running and a schematic of the custom pc board to show how it is connected to the microcontroller.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

+1

rubble

Post by rubble »

I now have it working through the custom pcb micro USB by connecting the USB pin on the microprocessor to the custom pcb +5V ( which is also connected to th BAT pin! )

It is a pain to keep connecting a pin to ground and disconnecting it every time I want to write updated code to the board. Also if I forget to power down the micro before adding/removing the jumper it corrupts the file system and I have to re install it.

I have also noticed a soft restart is not the same as a power down restart which caused a lot of confusion.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”