Brand new ItsyBitsy M4 - not working

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
byemi06

Brand new ItsyBitsy M4 - not working

Post by byemi06 »

Hello Adafruit enthusiasts,

I bought an ItsyBitsy M4 ( ATSAMD51 ) on 19.02.2022 and received it on 04.03.2022, from Ebay supplier https://www.ebay.com/usr/qita_maker_shop?ul_noapp=true. Because of the time constraint, I managed to test the PCB 3 days later, after the item reception. I took out the PCB from the red package and surprised that nothing is happening, like no sound came from the PC ( specific sound when a peripheral is connected ) nor the USB storage appeared. On Adafruit's website the following specification is stated " Comes pre-loaded with the UF2 bootloader, which looks like a USB storage key". From the day when I discovered this unpleasant situation, I started to write to supplier and announced him about this defect. In the end, he suggested me, to write the details about this defect on Adafruit's forum and find out the outcome.
I've attached an archive file, which contains pictures of the PCB ( top, bottom, uController under microscope, etc ).
- I tested with 3 different USB cables ( brand new ) -> same unwanted behavior
- Measured the voltages with a DMM, based on Eagle layout and schematic -> voltage ranges are as expected
* 4.95V on BAT pin ( from PCB )
* 3.3V on pins 6, 17, 36, 44 of ATSAMD51 and even on the PCB
@Adafruit technical support/engineers : Can you please guide me with additional steps which I can follow and find out the root cause ?
If the defect can't be remediable, I will have to ask the supplier for a replacement.
Thank you in advance
Attachments
Adafruit_ItsyBitsy.zip
(375.08 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

dastels

Re: Brand new ItsyBitsy M4 - not working

Post by dastels »

Plugging in should cause the DotStar to light up magenta.

The first test would be to press reset. Also double-press reset. Does anything happen in each case? Specifically with a USB storage device mounting: double-reset should cause ITSYM4BOOT to mount. and the DotStar to turn red briefly before switching to green. Also the red LED near the reset button should pulse red. The red LED should also flash each time the rest button is released.

Dave

byemi06

Post by byemi06 »

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your feedback and support.
I tried as a 1st step to reproduce what is described what is described in the following link : https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... er-details, but nothing happened. Tried even with double press of the reset button ( as you suggested ), but without any kind of good feedback and not to say that the LED's ( DotStar nor red LED ) are turning on or flashing.

I will be grateful if you have other suggestions and to find out the issue.
Thank you again in advance for your support.
Last edited by byemi06 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dastels

Post by dastels »

It seems completely non-functional. You should contact the seller about getting a replacement.

Dave

byemi06

Post by byemi06 »

Hello Dave,
Thank you again for your fast feedback.
I've informed the seller about the discussion we had, therefore I will have to wait for he's answer.
I think this topic can be close, cause I don't have any idea what shall be done further.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”