Matrix portal m4 cable question

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jay_py

Matrix portal m4 cable question

Post by jay_py »

Hi,
I want to put the led screen and the M4 board inside a custom-built box so I won't plug the M4 directly on the back of the screen. What kind of connection cable do I have to use? Appreciate if you can point me to a link. Thank you!

mikeysklar

Re: Matrix portal m4 cable question

Post by mikeysklar »

@jay_py,

This 2x8 ribbon cable is what is generally used by for RGB Matrices and I expect it to work with the HUB75 connector on the back of the Matrix Portal.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4170

Tortilla

Re: Matrix portal m4 cable question

Post by Tortilla »

jay_py wrote:Hi,
I want to put the led screen and the M4 board inside a custom-built box so I won't plug the M4 directly on the back of the screen. What kind of connection cable do I have to use? Appreciate if you can point me to a link. Thank you!
I just did this with my own custom enclosure. The Matrix Portal board has a female pin header and the LED panel has male pin headers. Therefore, you will need a 16-P ribbon cable that has a male connector on one end and a female connector on the other end. I made up my own cable by purchasing the ribbon cable, male connectors and female connectors on Amazon. The connectors are super easy to install. There are youtube videos that show how to do it. You just need some way to press the connectors on to the ribbon cable. I used the vice attached to my workbench, but I think you could also use a C-clamp and two pieces of wood to apply equal pressure to the connectors. The ribbon cable can be cut to whatever length you need with a pair of common scissors. This is an advantage over buying ready-made cables because you can make the cable fit inside a cramped enclosure. I'm not sure if Adafruit will allow me to post links, but you can just search for the parts you need on Amazon. The ribbon cable that comes with the LED panels cannot be used because it has a female pin header on both ends of the cable. Good luck.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”