ESP32 not responding on Matrix Portal M4

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drastamat

Re: ESP32 not responding on Matrix Portal M4

Post by drastamat »

Nevermind. My whole board seems to still hang and freeze with no error message.
Back to square 1... very frustrating

Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

drastamat wrote:Nevermind. My whole board seems to still hang and freeze with no error message.
Back to square 1... very frustrating
One of the posts on GitHub mentioned a "brute force" way to solve this problem: You plug the power supply for the Matrix Portal in to a smartplug and set a schedule of turning the power off at the 59th minute of the hour and back on at the top of the hour, ie 10:59 off back on at 11:00. I'm in the process of trying that now. My board has never crashed in less than an hour.

drastamat

Post by drastamat »

Thank you, yes I've heard of that too. I'm trying to understand why the firmware or something is freezing and avoid a workaround like that.

Adafruit, can you please help me debug further? Within a couple hours, my board hangs upon making a request. Using a wifi manager with Neopixel as status light, the Neopixel lights up and stays on indefinitely, and the board hangs. When operating normally, the status light blinks for every request. If connected to a PC, the USB connection dies when the light freezes. I can't see error messages/tracebacks. My project is not very successful if it requires manual reset every couple hours (it's a transit arrival board), so I'd really appreciate any tips on how to find what's hanging and whether it's something I can fix. From what I understand the wifi manager object is supposed to be able to manage interruptions in connection, so if there are issues with dynamic IP from the router it would reconnect? The problem is it's not making it to reset method in a try/except block and hangs on the post method. I'm wondering if it's something deeper down with CircuitPython or library?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I'm wondering if it's something deeper down with CircuitPython or library?
This may be the case. There's nothing simple or obvious to explain what is happening from what I can determine.

Please open a new issue here:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... SPI/issues

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”