Reduce leakage via UART port of Itsybitsy nRF52840 Express

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
peterhsi75

Reduce leakage via UART port of Itsybitsy nRF52840 Express

Post by peterhsi75 »

I connected a sensor to Itsybitsy nRF52840 express via UART port (D0 &D1). In order to reduce power consumption, I turn off power to sensor device when I do not need to access sensor data. I noticed that even if the sensor is turn off, the Tx pin (D1) still drains about 4-5 mA current. If I physically disconnect the Tx pin, the current drain stops. Do you know if there is a way to program the D1 pin into a high impedance mode when it is not used for UART communication?

mikeysklar

Re: Reduce leakage via UART port of Itsybitsy nRF52840 Expre

Post by mikeysklar »

I see the struggle is real here. There is a discussion not he Nordic forum around nRF52 UART power consumption. They are focused on Easy_DMA / UARTE / HFXE being enabled. Things that are probably all below the covers of the Arduino library you are using for serial communication (if that is what you are using).

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic ... onsumption

peterhsi75

Re: Reduce leakage via UART port of Itsybitsy nRF52840 Expre

Post by peterhsi75 »

Thank you for your good suggestions. I discovered that by using the standard Arduino serial function Serial.end(), I can turned off the serial port and reduce significantly the leakage current via Rx pin of nRF52840. For now, this is good enough for me.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”