Image Capture and Display from Itsy Bitsy M0

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GuyBooth

Image Capture and Display from Itsy Bitsy M0

Post by GuyBooth »

I have an application where I want to do the following:
On "demand" (ie click a button):
Capture an image. Low resolution is fine, an OV2640 would be plenty good enough if I could make it work
Store the image in memory in an Itsy Bitsy M0 express (does it have enough memory?)
Display the image on a small oled screen. Might not need to display the whole image.

On demanding a new image, can overwrite the previous one.
The Itsy Bitsy will do additional tasks so I can't use up all its GPIOs ...

Anyone have any thoughts? I was looking at the esp32-cam but all the references I have seen talk about Bluetooth and WiFi which appear to take up a lot of space and which I do not need. The OV2640 is a nice size, but obviously I need to process the signals from it.

mikeysklar

Re: Image Capture and Display from Itsy Bitsy M0

Post by mikeysklar »

It seems like the RP2040 would be a better board if you were going to store things with onboard memory. If you look at the example code there is a Pico setup that is storing images with a connected SD Card through a ST7789 LCD. I mention this just to show that a Pico is being used to trigger the images successfully.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... 789_2in.py

It should be possible to use the simpletest example with other RP2040 board (Feather, Pico, QtPy, etc.):
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... pletest.py

GuyBooth

Re: Image Capture and Display from Itsy Bitsy M0

Post by GuyBooth »

Thinking about it - I'm using the Itsy Bitsy because of the other functions I am working with (range finding and a few switches).
I don't have any need to store the image information - just need to display it so the user can adjust the position of the device the camera is mounted in to line it up.
So if the oled had its own storage I wouldn't need any additional SD cards etc,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”