Adafruit Bluefruit MO and setting it up for a midi device

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kingmichaelcoy222

Adafruit Bluefruit MO and setting it up for a midi device

Post by kingmichaelcoy222 »

Hi guys I'm King. This is my very first post. I'm designing a drum machine right now well what I want to ask is regarding the Bluetooth Le page where they show how to make a midi device from breadboard

Ex.https://images.app.goo.gl/K57oowRp8kbhpdK87

So im trying to test this project on a adafruit feather Mo. I have near identical connections to my breadboard other than the colors of the wires. When I try to upload the code of the 47 effect midi library it fails to upload. That is not my question. My question is can I do this project with the feather Mo and also why is the suggested midi library not available?

I got it but I don't think it's the correct version.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit Bluefruit MO and setting it up for a midi devic

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The image you linked is from this tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/web-ble-midi ... controller

and there are several other BLE MIDI projects:

https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=ble%2520midi

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

kingmichaelcoy222

below is my problem

I am trying to upload the Ble midi library to my Feather M0, and I got this error message.

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Feather M0 (SAMD21), Small (-Os) (standard), Arduino, Off"

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=adafruit:samd:adafruit_feather_m0:opt=small,usbstack=arduino,debug=off -vid-pid=239A_800B -ide-version=10819 -build-path /var/folders/2q/g1v4bwfs2cg3v7cqwb13y6c80000gp/T/arduino_build_945189 -warnings=all -build-cache /var/folders/2q/g1v4bwfs2cg3v7cqwb13y6c80000gp/T/arduino_cache_657395 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.8.0-48-gb176eee.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/bossac/1.8.0-48-gb176eee -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-5.4.0.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.2 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel-1.2.2.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.2 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0-arduino3.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-9-2019q4.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd-0.10.0-arduino7.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -verbose /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/SIMMIDI_M0/SIMMIDI_M0.ino
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=adafruit:samd:adafruit_feather_m0:opt=small,usbstack=arduino,debug=off -vid-pid=239A_800B -ide-version=10819 -build-path /var/folders/2q/g1v4bwfs2cg3v7cqwb13y6c80000gp/T/arduino_build_945189 -warnings=all -build-cache /var/folders/2q/g1v4bwfs2cg3v7cqwb13y6c80000gp/T/arduino_cache_657395 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.8.0-48-gb176eee.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/bossac/1.8.0-48-gb176eee -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-5.4.0.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.2 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel-1.2.2.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.2 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0-arduino3.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-9-2019q4.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd-0.10.0-arduino7.path=/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -verbose /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/SIMMIDI_M0/SIMMIDI_M0.ino
Using board 'adafruit_feather_m0' from platform in folder: /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10
Detecting libraries used...
/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb -c -g -Os -Werror=return-type -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions "-D__SKETCH_NAME__=\"\"\"SIMMIDI_M0.ino\"\"\"" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=48000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_SAMD_ZERO -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAMD -DARDUINO_SAMD_ADAFRUIT -D__SAMD21G18A__ -DADAFRUIT_FEATHER_M0 -DARDUINO_SAMD_ZERO -DARM_MATH_CM0PLUS -DUSB_VID=0x239A -DUSB_PID=0x800B -DUSBCON -DUSB_CONFIG_POWER=100 "-DUSB_MANUFACTURER=\"Adafruit\"" "-DUSB_PRODUCT=\"Feather M0\"" -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10/libraries/Adafruit_TinyUSB_Arduino/src/arduino -Os -D__SAMD21G18A__ -DADAFRUIT_FEATHER_M0 -DARDUINO_SAMD_ZERO -DARM_MATH_CM0PLUS -DUSB_VID=0x239A -DUSB_PID=0x800B -DUSBCON -DUSB_CONFIG_POWER=100 "-DUSB_MANUFACTURER=\"Adafruit\"" "-DUSB_PRODUCT=\"Feather M0\"" -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10/libraries/Adafruit_TinyUSB_Arduino/src/arduino -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0/CMSIS/Core/Include/ -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS/5.4.0/CMSIS/DSP/Include/ -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.2/CMSIS/Device/ATMEL/ -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10/cores/arduino -I/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.7.10/variants/feather_m0 /var/folders/2q/g1v4bwfs2cg3v7cqwb13y6c80000gp/T/arduino_build_945189/sketch/SIMMIDI_M0.ino.cpp -o /dev/null
SIMMIDI_M0:17:10: fatal error: Bluefruit.h: No such file or directoryAlternatives for Bluefruit.h: []

17 | #include <Bluefruit.h>
ResolveLibrary(Bluefruit.h)
-> candidates: [] | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Bluefruit.h: No such file or directory

adafruit_support_mike

This is the relevant line:
kingmichaelcoy222 wrote:SIMMIDI_M0:17:10: fatal error: Bluefruit.h: No such file or directoryAlternatives for Bluefruit.h: []
The Feather M0 core doesn't contain BLE support by itself.. the chip doesn't have a radio.

What BLE device are you connecting to the Feather?

kingmichaelcoy222

Its a feather weight OLED, should I disconnect it?

adafruit_support_mike

Could you post a link to the product page please? I don't recognize that as the name of one of our BLE boards.

kingmichaelcoy222

So, I can't put midi on that particular one? hmm. I also have a Nrf52832 and I know that does midi, but I'm having a hard time getting my bootloader to load on that one.

kingmichaelcoy222

so,
I can't use ble midi or bluetooth midi with

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2995

I have a featherwing oled.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2900

I also have a Nrf52832

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3406

I know the screen does not create any midi

but out of the nrf52832 and the feathering m0 which one is better for midi and bluetooth midi?

adafruit_support_mike

The Feather M0 BLE can do MIDI, I just needed to know what board you were using. The external nRF51822 modules behave differently from the nRF52 devices you program directly.

For boards with an nRF51822 module, you use the library described here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... le-library

kingmichaelcoy222

I’m trying to use the feather m0 with the o feather wing oled using the
Akai Mpk ble modification but with a breadboard prototype first

Here’s the link

https://github.com/brorgustav/AKAI_MPK- ... DIFICATION

It gives error after trying to compile. Just happy I know it’s possible.

kingmichaelcoy222

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Feather M0 (SAMD21), Small (-Os) (standard), Arduino, Off"

In file included from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/Usb.h:41,
from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/usbh_midi.h:29,
from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Downloads/AKAI_MPK-PLAY_BLE_MODIFICATION-master/bgw_mod_mpkplay_m0bluefruit/bgw_mod_mpkplay_m0bluefruit.ino:19:
/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/avrpins.h:1360:2: error: #error "Please define board in avrpins.h"
1360 | #error "Please define board in avrpins.h"
| ^~~~~
In file included from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/Usb.h:43,
from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/usbh_midi.h:29,
from /Users/kingmichaelcoy/Downloads/AKAI_MPK-PLAY_BLE_MODIFICATION-master/bgw_mod_mpkplay_m0bluefruit/bgw_mod_mpkplay_m0bluefruit.ino:19:
/Users/kingmichaelcoy/Documents/Arduino/libraries/USB_Host_Shield_Library_2.0/usbhost.h:126:2: error: #error "No SPI entry in usbhost.h"
126 | #error "No SPI entry in usbhost.h"
| ^~~~~
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather M0 (SAMD21).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

this is what happens when I compile the code

adafruit_support_mike

From the function names, you’re trying to use the microcontroller as a USB host instead of a MIDI controller. That’s the other side of the connection.

kingmichaelcoy222

so ill erase that part of the code, I just want to make a midi controller that is bluetooth

adafruit_support_mike

We won’t be able to do much useful debugging until you have code that’s relevant to the project. The tutorials linked from my first post above have code that’s known to work.

kingmichaelcoy222

Well maybe I’ll start here

What library would you recommend for the feather m0 that goobers ability to have ble midi?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”