Metro Express memory question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro Express memory question

by Blueshark on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Community...

I need to know how much memory is available AFTER the installment of the "UF2 Bootloader" in the Metro Express.
The specs on the Metro Express say there's 256KB Flash Memory, 32KB Ram, and 2MB SPI Flash.

I'm comparing the Metro Express to the Trinket M0, for the reason they both have the same Processor and memory, but the Trinket M0
lacks the 2MB SPI Flash memory and the Trinket M0 comes with "Circuit Python" installed not the "UF2 Bootloader".

I own a Adafruit Metro 328, Arduino Uno R3, Trinket 5V, and Trinket M0. I've gotten very comfortable with the Arduino IDE and Similar IDEs for the Arduino, I'm starting to run out of memory for my projects in the Arduino chip (its 32KB Flash Memory). I don't
want to make the jump to the Raspberry Pi 3 yet, because the Raspberry Pi 3 is not battery friendly due to its more powerfull
Processor; If I do go with the Raspberry Pi 3 I need to turn off features of it to save battery power, and/or spend money on a big battery supply.

I think the Adafruit Metro Express is in between the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi 3, for Arduino type projects; not too big not too small of a program, just need that extra space.

thank you all

cheers

Blueshark

Re: Metro Express memory question

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am

The uf2 bootloader is about 8k, so you'd have 248k left for other code.

The RasPi is a full-scale Linux computer, so moving to that platform is a bigger step than moving from one microcontroller to another. You really won't be able to save power by shutting down features because the Linux kernel has ultimate control over the hardware. The OS works as a middleman between any code you write and the microprocessor.

The Metro M0 will be about the same as the Trinket M0, but with the additional SPI Flash for data storage.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Metro Express memory question

by Blueshark on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank You adafruit_support_mike

I needed that info, will get an Metro Express next month. Until then I'll use the Trinket M0 for programs, since I haven't tried out the new features that the M0 Processor has on the Arduino IDE.

Blueshark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.