Metro M0 Express DC jack connector not working

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ohm314

Metro M0 Express DC jack connector not working

Post by ohm314 »

Hello!

After receiving a few weeks ago my Adafruit Metro M0 Express I wanted to try out yesterday for the first time powering it through the DC jack connector using a 4xAA battery pack. I realized that the board does not power-up at all. Powering it through micro-USB works just fine and I checked that the battery pack works with some Arduino boards I had sitting around. It looks like the connector is dead. I have another 11 boards on order for a course I will be teaching in a few weeks where I wanted to have the student work on some autonomous IoT projects, but now I'm worried I'll have to change plans significantly. Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

manor

Re: Metro M0 Express DC jack connector not working

Post by manor »

I can get mine to run from a 9V battery. I think 6.4V-4V is not supposed to work...
Something about a "haircut", as explained here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/ladyadas-lea ... and-supply:
haircut.png
haircut.png (59.15 KiB) Viewed 312 times

ohm314

Post by ohm314 »

Hi manor,

hmm.. but in the board documentation (https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... python.pdf) it says:
The DC Jack is a 5.5mm/2.1mm center-positive DC connector, which is the most common available. Provide about 6V - 12V
here to power the Metro. There is no fuse on this connection so you can draw more current, up to 800mA between
the 5V and 3.3V supplies, and 2A from Vin.
So, I thought this should work...

and by the way, for anyone curious: https://foundations.rhizomeacademy.org/

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

What batteries are you using and have you measured the voltage they are supplying?

manor

Post by manor »

I just sent you a contact request through the association's contact page. Very nice initiative!

ohm314

Post by ohm314 »

franklin97355 wrote:What batteries are you using and have you measured the voltage they are supplying?
I use regular alkaline AA batteries and the four are supplying 6.3V together... so.. I think that should be fine..? :)
manor wrote:I just sent you a contact request through the association's contact page. Very nice initiative!

BryonMiller

Post by BryonMiller »

Excuse me for butting in but I just gotta ask - Have you made sure the on-off switch is in the ON position? Mine was delivered with the switch OFF.

ohm314

Post by ohm314 »

BryonMiller wrote:Excuse me for butting in but I just gotta ask - Have you made sure the on-off switch is in the ON position? Mine was delivered with the switch OFF.
Oh god.. I feel so incredibly stupid right now.. Will the earth please open up and swallow me!

Thank you BryonMiller!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”