m4 metro express usb not seen by IDE

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nelhensley

m4 metro express usb not seen by IDE

Post by nelhensley »

No matter how many times I unplug and plug back usb to the m4 metro express a com28 port is said to be assigned. I set arduino ide to com28 and load sketch . it errors saying Verify successful
Done in 0.087 seconds
writeWord(addr=0xe000ed0c,value=0x5fa0004)
Board at COM28 is not available

Nothing runs.

Also forgot to mention when I first plug in usb to board bootloader is ON. neo led is green .

What is wrong ?? Using windows 7 .. is some usb driver not loaded?
Thank you
Nelson

adafruit_support_mike

Re: m4 metro express usb not seen by IDE

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Enable verbose messages during upload in the Arduino IDE's preferences and try uploading a sketch without bothering to select a Serial Port. When you see the lines that begin with 'PORTS' start to scroll past, double-click the Metro's reset button to force the bootloader to restart and make a new USB connection.

nelhensley

Post by nelhensley »

Hi,
That does not work.

I plugged a new m4 metro express board to the computer using usb. Never been used before and I got this message. Click link to see screen shot.

https://www.screencast.com/t/4l4iXmeI

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Did you install the drivers as shown in the tutorial?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... -only-6-11

nelhensley

Post by nelhensley »

yes I did install the drivers. In fact I was going to ask if drivers could be the problem? I used a newer laptop and the m4 metro express was shown as a teensy card so I reinstalled the adafruit driver using your webpage link to the driver install program. After that was finished, the connection said m4 metro correctly. However when I did a compile and LOAD of the simply blink sketch. the arduino ide said the was no card at that usb connection.

Again I used a M0 metro board and no problems with the laptop.

What on the bootloader did you change or in hardware changed? All the m4 devices I tested have problems with letting ide work but micropython no problem. The main difference I notice is on the M0 devices I never have to press the tac button twice to turn on the bootloader until I need it. Now it looks like you are trying to make both load methods work when in bootloader mode? If I just plug the usb into the board nothing works. I have to at least once press tac button twice Why the change?

nelhensley

Post by nelhensley »

I cant check because I wasn't keeping track of it. However I installed and uninstalled adafruit drivers many times. You can see from the screen shot in my posting earlier that during one usb connect attempt I got METROm4BOOT and CIRCUITPY being assigned com ports. I have not installed circuit python so why CIRCUITPY was showing was a question I hadn't got to yet.

Now after a reinstall of drivers your written guide is matching me connecting the USB to the board. The LED will flash and METROm4BOOT drive will appear and NO CIRCUITPY will appear. So I don't know if the installer of adafruit drivers was updated but I could not get things working for 2 days. Now magic. The laptop and my desktop follow what the written guide says should happen... I will admit , being a programmer for windows in c++ for 12 years windows has its demons especially when it comes to usb. I was starting to wonder if the M4 built in USB support and the lack of a USB dedicated chip was causing compatibility issues between my hardware and windows 7 support for USB. Thats why I testing on a laptop and a desktop to try and eliminate hardware USB conflict. I am scratching my head like I have done on other occasions for the last 12 years.

However I do believe my problems were the adafruit drivers. I cant tell you if it is with the driver software and M4 logic compatibility with my usb hardware and windows 7 or simply the software install procedure in windows. I am hoping you guys modified the adafruit drivers code and install exe because that would make this all make sense and provide a confirmed solution.

One side note is the laptop arduino IDE board manager showed 2 separate entries for the same M4 metro express. I manually removed one using the board manager.

Thank you for your help.

Hopefully I am tumbleweed in a dust passing through and you wont see a message on this anymore...

Nelson

nelhensley

Post by nelhensley »

I forgot to mention something that occurs on both the m4 metro and feather. When you plug USB into them the very first time.. Both FEATHERBOOT/METROBOOT drive and CIRCUITPY are shown on usb install process both get a comm port number. However. If I immediately do a quick double press of the tac button on either the Feather or Metro express. Only FEATHERBOOT or METROBOOT show and not CIRCUITPY shows up instead WebUSB Dummy shows. Here is a picture of device manager after the double tac is pressed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/affinladlkzel ... 7.png?dl=0

Thank you.
Nelson

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can ignore the webusb dummy device

so does it work for you now?

nelhensley

Post by nelhensley »

Yes it uploads from arduino IDE. I haven't tried circuitpython yet. Thank you.

I do have a question about the led_backpack library example quadalphanum sketch. It loads but nothing shows on the 14-seg led. a leonardo avr runs the code fine.
Does the m4 require a code update to the example? The M4 wont allow the tac double press to work until I remove the jumpers to the led pack. So it is acting like the scl and sda are not working correctly. It keeps the board from being reset until I remove the jumpers.

Thank you.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

for other questions, start a new thread! thx

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”