Not able to see MetroX in ports and blinking red L LED
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Not able to see MetroX in ports and blinking red L LED

by hargraves on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 pm

I just received a MetroX Experimenters Pack and when going through the install steps for the MetroX I am unable to see the device either when typing /dev/cu* in terminal (on a Mac) or in the Arduino IDE. I am using the USB cable that came with the experimenters kit (which should be both charging and data). When it is plugged in to USB, both the green "ON" LED is lit on the board and the red 'L' LED is blinking. What does the blinking 'L' LED indicate? I am not able to find documentation of that that.
Attachments
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg (733.79 KiB) Viewed 104 times

hargraves

Re: Not able to see MetroX in ports and blinking red L LED

by mikeysklar on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi hargraves,

I suspect the USB cable is good for data since it came with the MetroX.

Have you installed the FTDI and SiLabs CP210x USB drivers? I know the guide suggest you can find your /dev/cu* before installing the driver, but my experience has been the drivers are required to see the serial port.

https://learn.adafruit.com/experimenter ... /mac-setup

I verified that the serial port showed right up on my Arduino App --> Tools --> Port when being plugged in on my mac.

I am using a powered USB hub. It might be worth trying a different USB port as I've occasionally had some less than responsive ports.

L LED - this is the one LED that you can control. The L LED, however, is connected to the Arduino main chip and you can turn it on or off when you start writing code.

mikeysklar

by hargraves on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks for this — however, I am still not seeing the board.

I have now installed both of those drivers and as a result now see the serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART, but I still do not see the board itself (which as I understand from the directions should have a name along the lines of uc.usbserial-XXXX). I can't upload anything to the SLAB port as I get this error message: No device found on cu.SLAB_USBtoUART. It is plugged into a USB port to which I am able to read and write data onto an external harddrive.

hargraves

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 am

With the Metro connected to the computer, open System Information and select the USB pane. Do you see anything that looks like a Microcontroller connected to the USB tree?

adafruit_support_mike

by hargraves on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, I don't see it (see image below). And I haven't across two Macs, trying 4 different USB ports and swapping out another data capable USB for the one that was sent by Adafruit in the Experimenter kit.

Other things to try?

Nick
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.44.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.44.32 AM.png (52.64 KiB) Viewed 52 times

hargraves

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm

The CP2104 is the correct device, so it looks like there's a basic hardware connection. If you also have a /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART device file, it sounds like the OS recognizes the device.

In the Arduino IDE, enable verbose messages during upload in the preferences, make sure you've selected Arduino/Genuino Uno as the board type, select the cu.SLAB_USBtoUART Serial port, then try to upload a sketch. When it's done, post the contents of the debug pane between CODE tags.

adafruit_support_mike

by hargraves on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Its working!

I got the blink code uploaded and working. The issue was that I had chosen Adafruit Metro MO Express from the Adafruit SAMD as the board type (which I thought I was supposed to do in the instructions). When I instead chose Arduino/Genuino Uno as the board type it works.

So my take-home lessons from this experience are:
1) install the drivers first (perhaps the Mac MetroX instructions should be changed to indicate this as I didn't see it before doing so)
2) chose Arduino/Genuino Uno as the board type

Thanks a lot!

hargraves

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Glad to hear things are working for you. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.