Metro M4 Express

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Paulfairclough3

Metro M4 Express

Post by Paulfairclough3 »

Hi

I have just received my Metro M4 Express.

I have tried to use it on several computers, all running Windows 10, when plugged in via USB the screen, keyboard and mouse freeze.

The computer is still working in the background as when the Metro M4 is unplugged the computer screen updates example:

If on a process that is running on the computer when the Metro M4 is plugged is on 10% when it is unplugged that same process would then be on 50%.

The NeoPixel seems to be flashing steady green and the Power LED is on.

I have installed the Arduino files and installed the circuit python files on to the computers.

Any ideas what I need to do.

Many thanks

Paul

mrstew

Re: Metro M4 Express

Post by mrstew »

Hi!

I'm encountering the same issue with the Itsy Bitsy M4. Did you ever figure out what was going on?

I'm assuming it's a driver issue, as all my USB devices freeze...

mrstew

Post by mrstew »

I didn't manage to fix this, though noticed that there's some advice to manually remove your USB drivers etc. - didn't work for me on Windows 10.

I ended up using an Atmel ICE to program it instead, adapting these instructions:

https://learn.adafruit.com/proper-step- ... m0/lets-go

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

We are tracking a similar-sounding issue here: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues/954.

Could you both tell me the makes and models of your Windows machines and whether you have any third-party software installed that might make a difference? Which anti-virus or malware scanner do you use? Do you have a backup or indexing program installed? Do you have AIDA64 or other hardware monitoring program installed? Thanks.

mrstew

Post by mrstew »

Hi Dan, sure thing - I've running 64 bit Windows 10 Home (v1803) on an Intel Core i5.

As an extra datapoint I tried rebooting into safe mode just now - and things seem to work (or at least they don't freeze up when I attach the Itsy Bitsy).

I'll try going through running applications and removing them one by one to see if any make a difference.

I'm using Kaspersky and a Seagate backup program with an external drive.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The other person with trouble is also running Kasperksy. He said he disabled it and it still failed, but perhaps you can try too. Try to disable as much as possible about it.

By make and model I mean like HP, Dell, etc, and the model number (Optiplex 7010, Insprion xxx, etc.)

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

@mrstew - The other person reported that when Kaspersky was truly disabled, the problem went away: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpyth ... -401633237.

mrstew

Post by mrstew »

Thanks Dan! Can confirm the same on my machine - disabling Kaspersky has no effect, but if I close it down completely plugging in the Metro M4 works as expected.

lonetone

Post by lonetone »

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with Kaspersky when using a Gemma M0 and circuitpython 3.0.
I have logged it with Kaspersky support and they are investigating. I'll keep you updated.

mrstew

Post by mrstew »

Awesome, thanks - was trying to figure out how to report it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”