"grand central"? Mega format SAMD51? YES!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

"grand central"? Mega format SAMD51? YES!

by tomjennings on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 pm

so i came across this tantalizing post about the kinda sorta maybe almost "GRAND CENTRAL" mega-format SAMD51?! is it true? OMFGWTFBBQ i could use these now.

i do mostly heavy hardware control, currently using Mega 2560's and DUE's simply for the pin counts. one or my car ECU boxes uses over 40 pins, two serials for inter-processor communication, as well as I2C for RTCs etc. there are still many applications where a lot of hardware lines are required. i'm starting to run out of CPU.

I had to switch to the DUE for an LCD project needing speed (and even that box needed a dozen I/O for physical interface; rotary encoder pls switch, a chunky 1-of-5 rotary switch, three pushbuttons, an RGB LED, a serial port, power sense line, etc).

for a large-ish robotic project with a half-dozen servos, a couple dozen pins were needed for various controls, position sense switches, indicators, etc.

the SAMD51 has enough pins, all we need is 'em broken out! it seems silly to have to think about I/O expanders (shift registers etc) to mux all the pins needed to get around PCB limits.

i usually make PCBs that stack onto the Mega format boards. feeling a bit panicked at the lack of future large boards i was googling "mega format SAMD51" and stumbled on the links below.

this guy wrote it up: https://blog.hackster.io/adafruits-new-grand-central-board-a-return-to-the-arduino-mega-3f1273b0030

pointing to this tweet: https://twitter.com/adafruit/status/1030173218357891082?s=21

any news here?

tomjennings

Re: "grand central"? Mega format SAMD51? YES!

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 am

We have lots of ideas in development, but don't formally announce new products or do ETAs until they appear in the shop.

There are too many places where show-stopper bugs can kill a project during development, too many sources of delay in the supply chain that we can't control, and *way* too many people on the internet who think 'maybe' and 'estimated' mean 'guaranteed'.

adafruit_support_mike

by tomjennings on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:We have lots of ideas in development, but don't formally announce new products or do ETAs until they appear in the shop.

There are too many places where show-stopper bugs can kill a project during development, too many sources of delay in the supply chain that we can't control, and *way* too many people on the internet who think 'maybe' and 'estimated' mean 'guaranteed'.

but i sent in my money already! lol

seriously though, that's why i'm asking. s'ok, i'll wait. i truly understand show-stopper design issues. the little stuff can kill you. no problemo. didn't mean to bug you, mainly to say you have at least one buyer here.

thanks.

tomjennings

by westfw on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Also Image ! (Heh - already a different PCB that one one in the video - different uSD socket, at least!)

Sorely needed - Due came out in 2012, and it's SAM3x8 chip is somewhat "deprecated." The only other "large" boards in recent years were the Arduino.org boards that added way too many bells and whistles, and which disappeared along with the site. (and that 128pin TQFP looks much more reasonable than the 144pin chip on Due, or the really huge 169 pin chip on the ill-fated "Otto."

I'm very impressed that you kept the "top side" row of PWM and COMM pins !
westfw

by tomjennings on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 pm

yowza, you taunt me with such riches! so do want.

what is that, in the pic? yours? adafruit's?

i actually need min. two serials beyond the USB. most of my controller projects are embedded; USB is for flashing and debugging. some log, to microSD. some need RTC.

i'm driving 8 80-amp automotive high side drivers, each with (analog) current feedback and 8 "poll"/select pins plus the 8 PWM inputs. plus onboard thermal feedback and thermal control. another bank of smaller HSDs to drive LEDs and the integral VGA-chip type fan. i need pins.

CPU pins are far more effective than I/O expanders, for devices whose functions can't be contained in the expander (eg. some fancy LED control functions).

since i'm so I/O heavy i'm not often CPU limited, hence i've been able to survive on the 16MHz chip. but an 8-track reel tape drive (with two reel-and-arm servo systems) and data encode/decode needed a DUE for speed, as does an ignition system that needs very fast math in an ISR.

SAMD51 in "mega" format would be just freakin' fantastic. with RTC? and microSD? woo woo! two less add-ons!

what's the funny black connectory thingie near the high-numbered analogs?

tomjennings

by westfw on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:53 am

what is that, in the pic? yours? adafruit's?

Something that appeared on the Adafruit facebook feed (From Adafruit.) Umm: https://www.facebook.com/adafruitindustries/photos/a.10150288537222578/10156970144472578/?type=3

what's the funny black connectory thingie near the high-numbered analogs?

SWD debugger connection (relatively standardized.) There's one on the Metro M4 and Metro M0 Express, too. You can plug in an Atmel ICE or other SWD debugger and get access to "advanced debugging", at least theoretically. Sometimes the actual connector is omitted on "production" models, but my M4 Metro "beta" has it.
westfw

by kmgibbs on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Well you can count me in if you do decide to bring it out. I also have a need for far more hardware I/O pins than any of the current Circuit Python boards have. North of 35 devices. A fully automated 'Tower Garden' vegetable garden running pumps, lights, fans, vents, display and an array of sensors in a greenhouse. Some can be multiplexed with I2C and SPI, many simply need discreet digital on/off.

kmgibbs

by danhalbert on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 pm

danhalbert

by tomjennings on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:19 pm

danhalbert wrote:sssh!

YES YES 1E6 TIMES YES!

This will help with my own "legacy" boards but will let me push function density as well, into the future.

tomjennings

by roborich on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm

oh BTW I was poking around in the IDE packages variants folders and found a grand_central_m4 directory. Must be getting pretty close... Just saying :)

roborich

by tomjennings on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 11.07.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 11.07.18 AM.png (136.75 KiB) Viewed 245 times

tomjennings

by danhalbert on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:21 pm

"It's not out yet, don't ask." :)

But of course you are welcome to take a look at the "Top Secret" segement on Ask an Engineer and check for posts about "LEEKS" in discord. :)

danhalbert

by nealz on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:51 pm

I have a Robot Project that I didn't complete that was based on the Arduino Mega. The reason for stopping development was I needed additional Interrupts.

Will the Grand Central allow Interrupts on all/most of the IO Like the Metro M4? I need 10-12 Interrupts.

If so I have my next project!

Thanks
Neal

nealz

by westfw on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:38 am

Will the Grand Central allow Interrupts on all/most of the IO Like the Metro M4?

It is (should be) the same chip family with the same interrupt features and mis-features as the metro.
Any pin can cause an interrupt, but some pins will generate the SAME interrupt, and only one of them can be configured for interrupts at the same time...
westfw

by dar Kale on Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:34 pm

The product release blurb for the Grand Central has, as the second bullet point, this text: "Hardware DSP and floating point support"
I searched the datasheet for "DSP" but found nothing there. (There was a note saying that a clock signal was available to go to off-chip DSP device or something like that)

So... is there some sort of DSP feature on this board or what gives???

Merry Xmas!
dar Kale

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.