Serial port problem with Metro M0 Express on MacOS
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Serial port problem with Metro M0 Express on MacOS

by gvi on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi,
I recently purchased a Metro M0 Express and want to use it on MacOS (Sierra 10.12.6) with Arduino (1.8.7).
I followed the instruction on this web page: https://learn.adafruit.com/experimenter ... /mac-setup
After installing the FTDI and SILabs drivers, a reboot and connecting the Metro M0, the devices were shown in the USB tree ("About this Mac") and also under /dev
("tty.usbmodemFD1321")
The Arduino IDE had also shown it under the ports menu which I selected.
After trying to downloading a test application (blink) MacOS came up with a message indicating thet "CIRCUITPY" was not correctly ejected and the Arduino IDE logs this message:

forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port /dev/cu.usbmodemFD1321
PORTS {/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.usbmodemFD1321, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.usbmodemFD1321, } / {/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, } => {}

From this point on the device under /dev had disappeared, the USB tree (About this Mac) didn´t show the 2 devices anymore and the Arduino IDE just sees the Bluetooth port.

The devices only reappear after a reboot but only as long as I don´t try to download anything to the Metro M0

gvi

Re: Serial port problem with Metro M0 Express on MacOS

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:23 pm

The board came with CircuitPython pre-installed. That will create a folder called CIRCUITPY that will show up on your computer like a thumb drive and is where you put your CircuitPython programs. When you uploaded an Arduino sketch, you overwrote the CircuitPython firmware (that's fine, can always go back). From the computers point of view, that looked like a forced removal of the "thumb drive" so it just complained about that. For now, just ignore that. If you go back and start using CircuitPython, then you can use the "safe eject" before removing the board.

Try double pressing the reset button on the board to put it in bootloader mode. Does it show up OK then? If so, try uploading a simple blink sketch.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Serial port problem with Metro M0 Express on MacOS

by gvi on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:43 am

Thanks for your help.
Should have read the complete website documentation concerning Circuitpython and Ardino. It´s now clear to me how to change between both environments.

There was another problem which caused the confusion:

I used an external 5-port USB hub named "Trust" connected to the Mac (only with the Metro express connected to the ports)
It caused both devices, serial and virtual disk to disappear shortly after trying to use them via either Circuitpython or Arduino.
When connecting them directly to the Mac or to the Hub of the Apple Cinema display this problem doesn´t appear anymore and I get both devices permanently.

So, not only USB cables could be a problem, but also hubs should be mistrusted.

gvi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.