Metro M4 Express Arduino IDE upload failure
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro M4 Express Arduino IDE upload failure

by femyers01 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I've been using the Arduino IDE for years. Decided to try an Adafruit M4 express. Configured the IDE according to Adafruit instructions. All seemed OK. Only small item I noticed was that there is no Metro M4 express in the boards list. Just Metro M4( no express) . compiled test code which worked fine. Tried to upload and the M4 lights flash, turn red and the upload fails. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 16.04 and Arduino IDE version 1.8.5. When it fails the Metro M4 becomes visible to Linux as a disk drive. I close it and retry the upload but it fails the same way. I do not want to run Circuit Python!

Previously, I used the Arduino IDE with an Adafruit Huzzah and that worked just fine. What do I need to do to get this Metro M4 express working with the Arduino IDE?

femyers01

Re: Metro M4 Express Arduino IDE upload failure

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51) is what you want to pick for the board.

Did you do the linux specific steps:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... e-fix-6-35

If that doesn't help, try double pressing reset to get the board in bootloader mode. A folder named METROM4BOOT should show up. Then try uploading to it from Arduino that way.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Metro M4 Express Arduino IDE upload failure

by femyers01 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm

I tried uploading the board by setting up the Arduino IDE on Windows 10 and it worked just fine. I then found info about the Adafruit udev rules for Linux. I installed them in /etc/udev/rules.d and I could then upload to the board vie Arduino IDE on Linux. However, could not use Serial.print. Next, I installed the Linux package that supports the Bossa bootloader. After that, everything works!

I have never had to have the Bossa support loaded before. Not for any Arduino board or the Adafruit feather huzzah board. Had to install in in order to get the Metro M4 Express board to work though.

Everything seems to be working fine with the Arduino IDE under Ubuntu 16.04 supporting the Adafruit Metro M4 Express now.

Did some benchmarks comparing the Arduino Due and the Metro M4 floating point operations. It seems the hardware floating point support in the Metro M4 is also working under the Arduino IDE. Yea!

Looking forward to using the Metro M4 express in future projects!

Thanks all.

femyers01

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.