Powering Metro Mini 328 From Battery
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Powering Metro Mini 328 From Battery

by LimeAY on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm

As the title says, I need to power the Metro Mini Microcontroller from a 5V battery.

How would i go about doing this?

Do i need to use a voltage regulator or does this controller have on built in if i were to use a 9V battery?

If so is there some form of adapter to allow me to power it with this battery type, i.e 9V battery to Micro Usb?

Any help would be great thanks!

LimeAY

Re: Powering Metro Mini 328 From Battery

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:18 pm

If you have a regulated 5v source, you can feed it directly to the 5v pin on the Metro - or via the USB jack.
If you have a higher voltage source (e.g. a 9v battery), connect it to the VIN pin. There is an on-board 5v regulator.

The VIN pin can handle from 6v-16v. Lower is better since higher supply voltages will cause the regulator to get quite warm.

adafruit_support_bill

by javaman on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 pm

I have questions similar to the original post.

I assume that an external battery connected to Vin would also connect to GND? Probably obvious, but I want to make sure! (I have special powers of doing things the wrong way...)

Also, what happens when you are powering the Metro Mini from an external battery and you plug in a USB cable? Does the Metro Mini automatically disconnect from the external battery and draw power instead from the USB cable?

(By the way, really enjoying Adafruit products and support!)

javaman

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:25 pm

When connecting a battery via VIN, the negative battery terminal should be connected to GND.

You can connect both USB and Vin power, and the metro will automatically switch between the two to maintain the highest voltage output on 5V out.

adafruit_support_bill

by javaman on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you, adafruit_support_bill. Very helpful answers!

Adafruit is temporarily out of stock with the Metro Mini, but Amazon had some available, so I ordered from them. Nice reviews on Amazon, by the way.

javaman

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.