Metro Mini not connecting via usb
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro Mini not connecting via usb

by aidan4 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pm

I have a metro mini that has inputs and outputs soldered to most of the pins (not d0 or d1 though). When I plug it in to my computer with a micro usb, the red led flashes really quickly (three times I think) and then turns off. The power led remains solidly on. The board then does not show up in the arduino ide as being connected to a port. Is this just a faulty board? Or is there a possibility that this is caused by something connected to the pins? None of the inputs are powered separately--they all are powered by the metro itself.

aidan4

Re: Metro Mini not connecting via usb

by andrewa on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 pm

I wonder if you've shorted something, or are drawing too much current someplace. Can you post a picture of both sides of your board, or your setup?

andrewa

by aidan4 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures--this is part of a puzzle in an escape room and it's difficult to get a good angle.
Attachments
IMG_4466.JPG
IMG_4466.JPG (933.46 KiB) Viewed 34 times
IMG_4468.JPG
IMG_4468.JPG (775.66 KiB) Viewed 34 times
IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4467.JPG (841.5 KiB) Viewed 34 times

aidan4

by andrewa on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

I don't know how easy it is to get at, but you might consider a rework, using an Adafruit Protoboard like these:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/571

You can then easily have multiple ground and power points, and it is easy to get to the pins on the Metro Mini.

... along with some screw terminals:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2141

... and perhaps even some headers (these are for the Feather, but I'm sure you can find some for the Metro Mini):

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2886

Hate to see you rewire things, but this will help in a lot of ways:

If this is an escape room, and something where someone is paying (you, or for the experience), it should be a bit more bulletproof
It is easier to debug
It is easier to swap out a new Metro, in case you blow that one up
In case you need to change code and you aren't around, you can program one, and send it via UPS/Fedex, and say, "replace this!"

You could go the further step and connectorize everything with polarized connectors, so you can debug this on the fly. When soldered up, it is difficult to debug, since you have an all-or-nothing situation.

Tough to see where you might have shorted something out from the pictures. it may be the issue is not at your soldering on the Metro Mini, but on the connections on the other end.

andrewa

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 am

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to a computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

Just changing cables doesn't work. It's become normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one that worked, and IIRC, the record is 10. You need the true positive of a working connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.