32-bit Controller Library Compatibility?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

32-bit Controller Library Compatibility?

by LMcCallister on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:12 am

With the oodles of 32-bit controllers that Adafruit is coming out with, I'm finally looking at moving more of my development out of the realm of 8-bit. However, there are a few things I'm unclear on that I'm hoping there's answers for. I'm primarily looking at using the Metro M0 Express and M4 Grand Central (if I'm every lucky enough to catch it in stock).

Can I expect most Adafruit product libraries to be compatible with the 32-bit hardware? I've browsed over the code of the items I use the most (PCA9685, TLC5947, MPR121, CAP1188, TCS34725) and it appears that most of them use code that should work. For the most part, they ask for pins and such and don't have hardware-specific notes. A couple have spreadsheets noting compatibility too, which is nice.

Could I just get confirmation I'm not setting myself up for trouble with a hardware switch? Is there any other thing I need to look out for besides 3v level compatibility?

LMcCallister

Re: 32-bit Controller Library Compatibility?

by franklin97355 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 am

As new chips come out it may take some time for the libraries to catch up if they ever do. If you have a project that just won't work on the usual hardware you can try it and, if it does not work you may have to rewrite the library code. Get one and do some experiments.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.