Help with defective parts, please
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help with defective parts, please

by cjg0903 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Hello, I ordered 72 of your MetroX Classic Kit - Experiment Kit for Metro 328 PID: 3588, and 2 of the boards have been returned because they don't work. The order # is 1926420-1214363088, placed 12/7/18. Before you tell me that it's beyond the 30-day return policy, our classes started Jan. 21, and the first time students used the kits was last week. The boards didn't work the first time students attempted to use them. Professors verified that they were defective. I would like replacements or credit, please. Thank you
Attachments
Adafruit4.jpg
Adafruit4.jpg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Adafruit3.jpg
Adafruit3.jpg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 203 times
AdaFruit1.jpg
AdaFruit1.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 203 times

cjg0903

Re: Help with defective parts, please

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 am

The 30-day limit is counted from the date of purchase, not from the date the box was opened. *Every* post involving hardware past the limit begins "bought this [x-much time] ago, but only started using it this week." The statement describes a condition outside our control, and which we have no way to verify.

That said, you do seem to have a limited failure percentage from a batch large enough to provide ample comparison testing. If you're willing to cooperate with us on diagnosing the nature of the failures, I can authorize a discount on replacements.

If you connect each Metro to a computer using a known-working USB cable, what do you see in the Device Manager (on Windows) or the System Information USB pane (on OS X)?

adafruit_support_mike

by cjg0903 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Your parts are defective, and you're telling me that it's "beyond your control"??? I've now had a third defective unit come back. We sold a total of 60, so that's a failure rate of 5%, which should concern you as a company.

The reason I order them so far in advance is that one time I didn't order them that early, and I had to wait for them to be assembled because you were out of stock.

I'm willing to work with you on diagnosing the problem, but I think you should provide replacement parts at no cost. I can't believe you're not willing to stand behind your products. I've been in retail for 25 years, and never once have I denied a customer's return if the product had a manufacturing defect.

I'll ask the instructor for more detail about what happened when they try to use the defective parts.

cjg0903

by Ada485 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Feels like the policy of 30 days might need to be rethought through? 90 days or something might be more reasonable?

Ada485

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 am

We had no control over your decision to skip incoming inspection and wait until after the 30-day limit to see if the boards worked.

Our return/replace policy is among the most generous in our market. The sooner someone reports an issue, the more support options we have. But, like students coming up with reasons why late/missed homework shouldn't affect their grades, people who buy hardware have a tendency to lean on social engineering tactics to convince us to pay the cost of shipping to send them free hardware. Like teachers, we have rules and an obligation to enforce them.

We're willing to meet people halfway, and I've offered the options that are available to me at this time.

adafruit_support_mike

by cjg0903 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am

Per your last post, attached is information from the professor when he tested the three defective boards that you sold to us. As he is an expert in his field, I believe that this proves that you sold us defective merchandise and should replace the 3 boards for us.
Attachments
arduino_tests.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

cjg0903

by cjg0903 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 am

I'm not an engineer. How am I going to open and test 72 kits when I receive them???

adafruit_support_mike wrote:We had no control over your decision to skip incoming inspection and wait until after the 30-day limit to see if the boards worked.

Our return/replace policy is among the most generous in our market. The sooner someone reports an issue, the more support options we have. But, like students coming up with reasons why late/missed homework shouldn't affect their grades, people who buy hardware have a tendency to lean on social engineering tactics to convince us to pay the cost of shipping to send them free hardware. Like teachers, we have rules and an obligation to enforce them.

We're willing to meet people halfway, and I've offered the options that are available to me at this time.

cjg0903

by franklin97355 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:07 am

Can you set the Arduino IDE preferences to verbose for compile and upload and post the resulting log here for us to check? Please use code tags when posting code or logs to the forums. It preserves formatting and makes it easier for everyone to read the code. Click the code button above the reply box and past your code between the tags created.

franklin97355

by cjg0903 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:59 am

I am a bookstore manager, not an engineer.

cjg0903

by franklin97355 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm

OK, Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this topic and they will arrange a refund for the three boards you have that don't work. Please test them when you get them to make sure they work.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.