METROS NO LONGER COME UP IN DEVICE MANAGER
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

METROS NO LONGER COME UP IN DEVICE MANAGER

by orlandoc on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi All,

Newbie, so excuse any faux-pas...

Purchased Metro 328s ( 4 of them) and tried programming them in Windows 10 ( Surface 4.9) environment ( Arduino IDE downloaded from Windows Store, IDs as 1.8.8)

I programmed/ reprogrammed 2 of them a few times and had simple image display app ( using Adafruit Image Reader and ILI9341 shield ) reading and displaying images with no problems.

Then programmed them all with same code.. all worked.

Added driver to IDE to play with Metro M0, then decided to go back to working with Metro 328.

Could no longer see any of the Metro 328s when plugged into my Surface Tablet.

They would not pop-up in the Device Manager ( so of course could not seem them in Arduino IDE.)

I did note the following:

1. I believe I may have used the Arduino Uno device setting in IDE; could this have messed them up? Drivers for Adafruit AVR board support was not installed, subsequently installed it.
2. I tried using an older windows 7 machine with 1.8.5 IDE and still could not see any of the boards in Device Manager.
3. Boards have CP2104s and FDTI chips, so I have a mix of boards.
4. Other standard boards like Arduino Uno and a MEGA 2560 I have still work on the Surface 4.0 and are ID'd correctly.

Options:

1. Re-flash the Metro to factory by any simple means?
2. Any other way to resurrect these boards?
3. Treat boards as one time programmable ( snicker)

I have ordered more boards to see if the fresh ones work on my computer today. Will post if they do...

Said a lot, bottom line-

1. May I done something wrong? If so, what so I won't repeat.
2. Can I re-flash these boards?
3. Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks in advance

orlandoc

Re: METROS NO LONGER COME UP IN DEVICE MANAGER

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 am

Before anything else, verify the USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, bbut no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day. Just swapping cables doesn't necessarily prove anything. It's become normal for people to say they had to test three or four cables before finding one that worked. You need the true positive of a working connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

by orlandoc on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 am

You are 100% correct! Mea Culpa!

I had tried multiple cables, all yielding same results.

I re-tested them with meter and they had no data connections!

Evidently, when I had gotten the Metros to program before, I had randomly selected the correct cable.

Thanks much, have a great day!

orlandoc

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 am

Glad to hear that got things working!

No mea culpa is necessary BTW.. we call them a plague for a reason. If anyone should apologize, it's the USB Working Group for saying, "hmm.. we've spent decades putting different connectors at opposite ends of USB cables so it's physically impossible to connect them the wrong way, and now someone wants to make 2-wire charging cables that look almost identical to our 4-wire data cables. Well shoot, slice me off a piece of that action!"

Someday this will be in engineering textbooks under the heading, "Never Play Chicken with Murphy's Law."

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.