Metro M0 Express COM port failure
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro M0 Express COM port failure

by tdhammer on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:36 pm

My Metro M0 Express is not creating a COM port on my MS Windows laptop. When I plug it in, I get the CIRCUITPY storage device. If I double-click the reset button the LEDs change a bit, the CIRCUITPY storage goes away and it is replaced by the METROBOOT storage device.
Device Manager shows the Metro M0 under Other devices w/ the warning icon and properties indicate the drivers are not installed, but searching for a driver fails to find anything. (As have my manual attempts to search for a driver.)
I want to install a new program that I obtained from a shield provider- it compiles in the IDE, but I cannot upload from the IDE as the COM port cannot be found.
I looked into the uf2tool (https://github.com/Microsoft/uf2/tree/master/uf2tool) but cannot compile it with my MinGW gcc as it does not recognize the -framework option.

Any suggestions for getting this new program onto the board?
Thanks!
.Tim

tdhammer

Re: Metro M0 Express COM port failure

by Blurfl on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 am

I don't have any idea about why the COM port isn't showing up, but I've been working on a tool for the Arduino IDE that can create a UF2 file for a sketch. That would let you put the sketch onto the board without using the COM port (though that won't help if the sketch needs the COM port to run...)

The README for the repository has instructions for downloading, installing and using the tool.

Blurfl

by tdhammer on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:23 am

@Blurfl -
Blurfl wrote:The README for the repository has instructions for downloading, installing and using the tool.

Thank you for the link- this looks like it will be very useful.

.Tim

tdhammer

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 pm

It sounds like the board is working and currently has Circuit Python installed. That shouldn't be an issue for uploading an Arduino sketch. Are you using a version of Windows that requires drivers?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... -only-6-11

adafruit_support_carter

by tdhammer on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you for that link. I had been unable to find it on my own for some reason. I will give it a try as soon as possible.
.Tim

tdhammer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.