Metro M4 Airlift with TriColor E-Ink Wifi Failing

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alphabob

Metro M4 Airlift with TriColor E-Ink Wifi Failing

Post by alphabob »

Hi,

Just received a Metro M4 AIRLIFT Lite (gad that name is long) with the TriColor Eink Shield.

Have the latest Arduino 1.8.10 environment, and made sure all the required Adafruit libraries were loaded.

IDE finds the board, but compile of the weather station example fails because SPIWIFI_SS & other ESP32 pins haven't been defined anywhere.

So added in definitions to sue SS pin 10, ACK pin 7, and RESETN pin 5. Code compiles, E-Ink display is accessed and says "Communication with WiFimodule failed!".

Any idea what the SPIWIFI_SS, SPIWIFI_ACK and ESP32_RESETN pins are supposed to be? (I got my value from the latest version of the board PDF -- schematic is too small scale to read).

dastels

Re: Metro M4 Airlift with TriColor E-Ink Wifi Failing

Post by dastels »

Have you followed along with https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... /wifi-test ? that should confirm that everything works. It also goes over the pins.

Dave

alphabob

Post by alphabob »

Hi Dave,

Yes I did review that, thanks. Part of my frustration is that I've seen at least four different ways of specifying the pins in various Metro M4 Airlift documents. The pins suggested by the WiFi Test are 10/7/5/-1, as is the ePaper Calendar guide. The Metro M4 Airlift AdafruitIO Example uses 10/9/6/-1, and the large PDF manual on the board uses chip pin numbers (36/27/38/35). The eInk Weather Station has no definitions for SPIWIFI_SS, SPIWIFI_ACK, ESP32_RESETN, or ESP32_GPIO0 (so that code compiles with errors).

Good news is that I found the problem.

While My Arduino IDE is the latest version (1.8.10), I had failed to update the Adafruit SAMD Boards to version 1.5.7. I should have figured that out quickly as there was no board defined for an "Adafruit Metro M4 AirLift LIte (SAMD51)" and the eInk Weather Station software refused to compile without errors because none of the SPIWIFI or ESP32 definitions had been made for that board.

Now I have other issues to resolve, but at least I have communications with the ESP_32 and eInk display working, so debugging the remaining stuff should be a snap.

Thank you VERY much Dave. Just having the confidence that things SHOULD work, kept me looking for a solution, and it turned out to be stupidity on my part.

Regards!

dastels

Post by dastels »

Awesome. Making sure everything is up to date (and making sure you have exactly your board selected) is paramount.

gregorycasey

Post by gregorycasey »

I am still have some problems with this Calendar Demo --- finally got the epaper to display the calendar

BUT in the drawCalandar, EPD_INVERSE is being passed to gfx.setTextColor --- it is NEVER defined, what am I missing

So, I comment out that line, then the calandar is shown with NOTHING on the current DATE location (not unexpected)

But where is EPD_INVERSE defined ???? what am I doing wrong ?

gregorycasey

Post by gregorycasey »

On EPD_INVERSE -- found the note by LADYADA in Github -- Release 4.* dropped EPD_INVERSE #33

Adafruit needs to cleanup failing example code.

my problem is solved.

usmanseoguy

Post by usmanseoguy »

Good to see your question because i have the same one and it makes me happy to see[the ans here.

gregorycasey

Post by gregorycasey »

Yes, I LOVE the ADAFRUIT projects/technology/ideas BUT they need to be more proactive in initially debugging AND the re-testing for library updates.

When all is unknown, a student ASSUMES the examples are correct.

Just a thought - Greg

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”