Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

What is most powerful Adafruit board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What is most powerful Adafruit board

by elvin02 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello. I'm new on Adafruit and I would like to know which one is the most powerful board Adafruit has and if it is to code using Python because I'm looking to code in Python..??

So please suggest me the best book ever for Adafruit because I just know arduino.

elvin02

Re: What is most powerful Adafruit board

by dastels on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:10 pm

As a rule these days, the more powerful boards work great with CircuitPython. As to which is the most powerful... it depends on what you need.

If you want Bluetooth capabilities, you'll want to look at the nRF52840 boards (Feather, ItsyBitsy, CLUS). They have builtin bluetooth, as well as generous amounts of flash and ram. CircuitPython is especially ram hungry.

If you want a lot of I/O pins, the Metro M4 Grand Central is the way to go. It has the same footprint and number of pins as the Arduino Mega. It's a big ATSAMD51 MCU with plenty of memory and performance. The Metro, Feather, and ItsyBitsy M4 (i.e. ATSAMD51) boards are all great CircuitPython platforms. Look at the "Express" versions that have additional flash for storing more libraries, code, images, sounds, fonts, etc. They have different amounts of I.O pins and memory, so compare. Generally you'll be making a trade off between memory/pins and size of the board.

There's also some STM32 based boards (which use the ARM Cortex-M4 core as the ATSAMD51 chips) such as the Feather STM32F405 Express. these are fast, but done's have as much ram as some of the larger ATSAMD51 boards... but still plenty for most purposes.

Another thing to consider is whether you want a tft screen. If so, the PyBadge, PyGamer, and PyPortal (3 sizes). They all have plenty of memory, a screen (with resistive touch on the PyPortals) .

Wifi is another consideration. All the above mentioned boards can use an AirLift breakout or addon to add a Wifi coporocessor and some boards have one builtin (the Metro M4 AirLift and the PyPortals).

I hope this helps.

I'm not familiar with books specifically for this. I've seen one book on CircuitPython.

Feel free to ask followup questions.

Dave

dastels

Re: What is most powerful Adafruit board

by elvin02 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:37 am

Ok. I got it, thanks a lot for your help...

elvin02

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.