Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Reset/port/bootloader issues during sketch upload
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Reset/port/bootloader issues during sketch upload

by kaleun96 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm

I've been using a Grand Central on a Mac and Windows computer, in both Atom w/ Platformio and the Arduino IDE, and constantly I'm dealing with issues related to the board getting stuck in bootloader mode during sketch upload.

It will say it is forcing reset and waiting for the new port and then timeout and fail. Sometimes it will even start writing the sketch and then fail for the same reason. The double-press of the RST button usually works but sometimes it takes a few goes. On my Window PC, doing this combined with using the Arduino IDE creates a mess of available PORT options. Sometimes it ends up creating a new port each time I have to use the double-tap reset and won't clear the excess ports until I close the IDE. Other times it uploads successfully but gets stuck on the wrong port and I have to manually switch ports again to use the Serial interface.

So far it seems completely unstable for use in a permanent enclosure where I may want to make occasional updates. My success rate in getting a sketch to upload first goes is perhaps 25%. I've heard Adafruit support mention that this issue can occur on some Windows 10 machines but for me it occurs equally as often on Mac or Windows, IDE or Atom.

Surely there must be a solution for this. I've attached an example below.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 18.04.25.png
Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 18.04.25.png (272.54 KiB) Viewed 130 times

kaleun96

Re: Reset/port/bootloader issues during sketch upload

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:54 am

Try using a few other USB cables.

At USB speeds, the cable is more of a component than a passive connection, and USB cables are not all the same. Sometimes you get a cable that interacts with a specific board to produce line noise.

adafruit_support_mike

by kaleun96 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay I tried a few USB cables and they all had the same problem at some point or another so I bought a new cable and same issue.

kaleun96

by kaleun96 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Any updates on this? It's consistently happening every second sketch upload. I can upload a sketch fine but next time I go to upload it will pause half-way through the upload and require a double-tap reset for it to work again. After working again for one sketch, it will fail next try every time.

I'm using my Arduino Due in the mean time the issue is so bad. The Grand Central board is not cheap, loads of people have the same issue on other variations of your SAMD boards (e.g. Feathers) yet I still haven't come across a proper solution for this issue. It's seriously ridiculous that a $50 board can have these issues and Adafruit does nothing about them.

kaleun96

by MNXR250R on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:37 pm

I've had similar issues uploading to the M4 WiFi lite. In my case I had the wrong board selected during uploading. That was my fault and I fixed that but....

During that process, at least on Win10 using the Arduino IDE, I found that each( maybe not every) time I rebooted the Adafruit board while trying to upload, I'd get another COM port (in Windows Device Manager) assigned to the Adafruit board. Eventually I'd have multiple COM ports (in Windows Device Manager) assigned to the SAME board. Then while trying to upload to the Adafruit board using the Arduino IDE in Windows, with the Arduino IDE config showing the current COM port assignment, and with the correct board selected, the upload failed. The only way I could get a sketch to uploaded was to unplug the Adafruit board, clear out all of the (hidden) COM ports that Windows had previously assigned to the Adafruit board, reboot Windows, double tap RESET on the Adafruit board, and upload again.

On the Raspberry Pi (RPi) my issue was that the RPi( loaded with Raspbian) wouldn't recognize the M4 as a "device" after a failed upload to the M4 using the Arduino IDE. This has only occurred once so it's not fact. However I couldn't get the RPi to communicate with the Adafruit board unless... I disconnected the Adafruit board from the RPi and then connected it to the Windows PC (after removing all of the Windows Device Manager COM assignments), rebooting everything ...... and uploading.

Is an "upload" the same as pulling the power from the device and having a FULL reset ?

Good Luck

Jeff

MNXR250R

by kaleun96 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:10 am

Hey Jeff,

I also have similar issues on my Windows computer with the M4. As you say, it'll add multiple COM ports and the IDE will be unable to select the correct one each time, requiring manual changing of the upload port.

Let's see what Adafruit does about it, they've been very quiet about these issues given the number of unanswered/unsolved threads I've seen on it.

kaleun96

by kaleun96 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:48 am

Any updates Adafruit? I've since had opportunity to try it on a FOURTH computer and I still get the same issue. For those counting, that's two MacBook Pros, a MacBook Air, and a Windows 10 PC. I've also tried four USB cables and none seem to be much better than the other.

What else can I try, or do I need to get a refund?

kaleun96

by Rcayot on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:26 am

I have a help request on the same issue. I have a Metro M4 Express, running the IDE on RPi-4B. Sometimes it will run smoothly for several sketches. It may be a coincidence, but it seems more prone to fail with sketches that utilize Serial.println() function.

BareMinimum sketch does not always load, but once it does it is usually reliable to reload. Then another sketch may or may not load.

I have ordered a new cable, just so that I can eliminate that as an issue.

I would also appreciate an update from Adafruit help in that although you got one response, I have posted two querries on this topic.

Roger

Rcayot

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.