Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Metro Mini output max draw and usage of USB and 5v
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro Mini output max draw and usage of USB and 5v

by ZacharyRD on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm

Is there a maximum 5v power out (in milliamps) that can be pulled off the USB pin or the 5v pin for the Adafruit Metro Mini 328 5v 16MHz?

When powered via USB, for the USB pin, am I limited to 500 milliamps or can I draw 1500 milliamps or 1800 milliamps or more (at peak) off the USB pin on the board, if I'm using a 5v / 2A USB power supply into the micro-USB port?

For the 5v pin, I assume it's the same exact answer as above, if powered via USB? If I'm powered by Vin, what am I limited to on this board via the 5v pin?

I'll use FastLED.setMaxPowerInVoltsAndMilliamps as needed, and adding power separately, both as needed, but am trying to figure out what my options are.

Bonus: Same answers if I'm using the full-sized Metro board?

Thanks a lot.

ZacharyRD

Re: Metro Mini output max draw and usage of USB and 5v

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:25 am

The 5v pin is connected directly to the USB VBUS. So in theory, you can pull as much as your USB supply can source. However, as a practical matter, the power traces on the board do make a rather effective 'fuse' if you try to pull too much current through them. And standard header contacts are typically rated for 1-2A max.

In general, if you have external circuitry that requires more than an amp or so of current, you should wire power directly to the load.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.