Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

METROX CLASSIC KIT Noobs
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

METROX CLASSIC KIT Noobs

by donqueodie on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Thought it'd be fun to try something new with my boys during this Viral lockdown. We can't get the first circuit to work! Please help so we can continue learning, what are we doing wrong?

We're just copying straight out of the book. Code is:
void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:
pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);
delay(1000);
}
It did upload to our Metro, that part is good, and of course it was plugged in and switched to on. Attached is the setup.
IMG-6987.JPG
IMG-6987.JPG (709.63 KiB) Viewed 105 times

IMG-6985.JPG
IMG-6985.JPG (306.75 KiB) Viewed 105 times

donqueodie

Re: METROX CLASSIC KIT Noobs

by mikeysklar on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Hello donqueodie,

My guess is that the LED might be flipped the wrong way. The wiring looks good.

mikeysklar

by donqueodie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

I have checked everything. I've used the Example code rather than my own. I've got the right port, and when I upload I can see the lights showing it's uploading to the Metro. I've rewired more times than I count. I've used different wires and different LEDs. I've flipped the LEDs even though I know it's in there right. I bought 2 sets since I have 2 kids and I've used both boards and both Metros.... What am I doing wrong?
IMG-6990.JPG
IMG-6990.JPG (795.55 KiB) Viewed 96 times

donqueodie

by kcl1s on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:06 pm

Is the onboard LED (marked L) flashing? If yes you probably have a circuit problem. If no blinking LED on the Metro then the code probably did not upload properly.

Fellow Hobbyist.
Keith

kcl1s

by donqueodie on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply, the L is flashing red. I meant to take the picture on the flash so that it would show up but forgot. I've wired and changed the wiring and flipped the LED and no dice. Has anyone who's used a MAC, had issues like this? Maybe I've done something wrong there?

donqueodie

by kcl1s on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 am

That shows your code is working. I would try a different LED, wires, resistor and different spot on the breadboard. It is a shame that you had this happen so early in your explorations but it does happen. Keep on trying maybe bypass the gnd rail of the breadboard and go right to the Arduino ground. If you have a multimeter you can check voltage and continuity.

Keith

kcl1s

by kcl1s on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am

You can also test by taking the wire going to pin 13 and putting it in the 5v rail you have wired on the breadboard. That will light the LED if circuit is right.

Keith

kcl1s

by donqueodie on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 pm

kcl1s wrote:You can also test by taking the wire going to pin 13 and putting it in the 5v rail you have wired on the breadboard. That will light the LED if circuit is right.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I like this approach, maybe I can figure out if the metro is even working. I've switched LEDs in and out and 180 degrees. I apologize for being such a noob, is this what you meant? And if so, and it didn't light, did I miss some initiation step with the metro or something? I have alligator clips as well, what else can I do to test and find out my problem? Also it's hard to see but the resister is in the + hole, not the -
IMG-6994.JPG
IMG-6994.JPG (936.23 KiB) Viewed 74 times

-DeWayne

donqueodie

by kcl1s on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Sometimes even wires go bad. It looks like you have been using the same blue and green wire. Try changing them out one at a time. Also try moving the comonents to another place on the breadboard. Something has your wiring not connecting. Best to try only one thing at a time.

Keith

kcl1s

by donqueodie on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Oh my gosh! Keith, thank you so much! The boys are so happy and now they're messing with it on their own. It was a combination of the LED we were using was just bad, and we had the resister plugged in to the 5V instead of the GND line. I'm actually surprised we figured it out, but I used your advice and was just changing the wires and everything out 1 at a time. Our breadboard was upside down so I didn't have the 2 lines (5V and GND) lines on the right spot. Question for you, after figuring it out, we moved on to the other examples of the first circuit (Pin 9 and using fade) and I realized the 5V line doesn't even do anything. Why is in the example and why connect it to the breadboard in the first place if it's not used?

-DeWayne
IMG-6995.JPG
IMG-6995.JPG (855.75 KiB) Viewed 67 times

donqueodie

by kcl1s on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 am

That is great. Glad you stuck with it.

Even though the LED was powered by pin and 5v was not needed I also leave the 5v and gnd rails connected. A little further along you will use it when reading button inputs, powering sensors, servos and motors.

Keep having fun.

Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.