Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

bootloader still not working properly
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

bootloader still not working properly

by Rcayot on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 am

My previous post on this topic I replied that rebooting the RPi-4B fixed issue, well, only partly.

My Metro M4 Express still loses the bootloader after I load a sketch. If I double click, the bootloader shows up, I download a sketch, the program loads but the bootloader disapears, and will not load another sketch until I double click the reset button again.

This is not the usual behavior is it? I recall that my previous efforts woudl allow reloading and loading sketches repeatedly without having to double clock on the reset button.

Is there a setting or something that will fix this or is my board messed up?

unplugging the board, rebooting my RPi-4B, changing USB ports, all result in same behavior.

Please provide suggestion as to what may have happened and how to fix.

edit - now that I think about it this may have happened after I responded to a "there are new board updates for your.." or something similar.

Roger

Rcayot

Re: bootloader still not working properly

by Rcayot on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:39 am

by teh way, the Metro M4 Express works PERFECTLY with CircuitPython. NEVER have an issue dropping a file into the Circuitpy folder and having it run. Seems like software-hardware issue with Metro and the IDE.

Maybe others who have had this same issue should try using the board with Circuit Python to see if it is indeed an issuie wtih the IDE and Metro.

Roger

Rcayot

by User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm having even more severe problems in a version of the boot loader I modified to load firmware updates from QSPI flash memory. I suspect cdc_enumerate.c in the bootloader is the place to look. It would be helpful to find a specification to check it against but I haven't found anything useful yet.

User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8

by Rcayot on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 am

Okay, after a bit of work, here is the situation.

The bootloader fails to act "properly" when code is loaded that has compiled properly, but has some issue (infine loop or something). With code that is not necessarily messed up, it works fine.

One issue is that Serial.prntln can, when not delay() is overwhelming the communications and can prevent loading, or losing the usb port.

I must say, that this is likely known, and could have put me back on track if I had had a comment or two pointing me in that direction, instead of being ignored.

Roger Ayotte

Rcayot

by danhalbert on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm sorry we didn't reply to you in time. Yes, because the USB port is provided in software instead of by an external chip (such as on an Arduino Uno), if you have a bad program, it will crash and the port will disappear. So you need to double-click and possibly choose the port again in the Tools->Port menu.

This has been written up but not consistently. Here is some help: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... ather-help

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.