Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Grand Central -bad choice
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Grand Central -bad choice

by gtgrey on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:56 pm

I have purchased 2 Grand Central boards one for personal projects and the other for a specific work applications. One was DOA. not led lights at all. The second seems to warm up then turn off. I have had it run long enough to download a blink test but after it runs for a couple of minutes, it turns off and the USB link disconnects, then reconnects, then disconnects, ad nausea, until it eventually disconnects permanently. If I let it set for about 30 minutes, then I can connect, program, let it run and the shutdown process starts again. I suspect a something is overheating.

I bought each board at different times and did not get use them immediately.

Both boards are marked as BETA but I truly didn't expect this.

2 out of 2 bad. Not a good track record

gtgrey

Re: Grand Central -bad choice

by dastels on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 pm

have you updated the bootloader or confirmed that it's the latest?` See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-grand-central/update-the-uf2-bootloader for details.

Dave

dastels

by gtgrey on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:09 am

Obviously, you did not read the problem. Just sent out a standard reply.

DOA means 'Dead on Arrival'. No power no led lights nothing. This problem is apparently due to the ABSENCE of TR1 on the board. Without this component, no power will get from the USB to the rest of the board. See the attached image.

Intermittent means if works for a while then quits working. Again, the problem appears to be due to component TR1. This time it looks like an cold solder joint on the gate. See attached image.

I purchased these boards months apart. Looks like Adafruit has a serious quality control problem
Attachments
Image of TR1 -- Intermittent board.png
Image of TR1 -- Intermittent board.png (596.62 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Image of TR1 - DOA board.png
Image of TR1 - DOA board.png (646.56 KiB) Viewed 70 times

gtgrey

by dastels on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of two GrandCentral M4 Express.

Hopefully the replacements will work.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.