Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Grand Central I2C Issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Grand Central I2C Issues

by jameschin on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am

I have a Grand Central connected to an Adafruit VL53L0X over SDA1 and SCL1 (24 and 25), but it keeps giving me the following errors:
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
RuntimeError: SDA or SCL needs a pull up

It will give me the first one, and then every time I reset the board it will give me the second error. The time of flight sensor has built in pull up resistors, but I tried added some and they didn't work.

The reason it's connected over SDA1 and SCL1 is because the SDA and SCL pins don't work (it doesn't see a device at the default address). I looked up some other forums and using pin 24 and 25 was recommended and once I tried that the Grand Central was at least capable of seeing the time of flight sensor at the default address.

Before anyone asks, yes, the board is connected correctly (I've tried VIN to both 3.3v and 5v, GND to GND, SDA to SDA/SDA1 and SCL to SCL/SCL1). And yes, the time of flight sensor does work, I've tried three of them on the Grand Central and none of them work, but they all work on an Arduino Mega.

The time of flight sensor will only work if I unplug and replug them into power/the Grand Central in random ways. There is no rhythm or reason to what makes them start working again. But once they start working it will only work for a few seconds before hitting an error.

jameschin

Re: Grand Central I2C Issues

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:07 pm

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.