Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Grand Central kills peripheral computer devices on Upload
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Grand Central kills peripheral computer devices on Upload

by kaleun96 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 am

To add on to the other Grand Central problems I and others are having, it is now occasionally causing my peripheral devices connected to my computer to stop responding - often until the computer is restarted.

Yes I'm on the new bootloader version - it has not made any difference whatsoever.

During a successful or failed upload, the Grand Central device can become unresponsive in Windows 10 device manager and this in turn makes USB, Bluetooth, and 2.4ghz wireless devices unresponsive. I often have no choice but to restart the computer.

Sometimes only the GC becomes unresponsive, disappearing from the COM port. The frequently parroted "ah mate just double tap the reset button and you're good" "fix" doesn't help in that scenario, I have to disconnect the GC from USB and reconnect it.

So in addition to only being able to upload a sketch 1/3 of the time, when I am able to it sometimes decides to screw up everything else. Again, I ask, how in the world were these things put into production without better quality control and QA. I'm still yet to get any proper support on the other issues. All I can do is warn others at every opportunity - do not buy these boards.

It's been just short of ONE YEAR since I received the board and not once have I even come close to putting this thing in an enclosure. I have zero trust in this board's ability to be reliable and able to upload sketches without needing to double tap the reset button.

kaleun96

Re: Grand Central kills peripheral computer devices on Uploa

by dThirteen on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am

I don't have a GC so I'm just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

Have you tried using a power adapter plugged into the barrel jack while using/programming yours? Also, have you tried using a different computer? I'm just wondering if your USB is weak or being weird in some odd way. I know I've been tempted to buy something like this that could help check such things: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2690

dThirteen

Re: Grand Central kills peripheral computer devices on Uploa

by kaleun96 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 am

dThirteen wrote:I don't have a GC so I'm just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

Have you tried using a power adapter plugged into the barrel jack while using/programming yours? Also, have you tried using a different computer? I'm just wondering if your USB is weak or being weird in some odd way. I know I've been tempted to buy something like this that could help check such things: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2690

I've had bootloader / upload issues on three computers: a Windows 10 PC and two Macbook Pro laptops. Haven't used the Grand Central on the Macbooks recently so unsure if the issue with peripherals can be replicated on those.

I've had bootloader issues while the GC has been supplied with 12V but I haven't had it setup that way for awhile so unsure if the peripheral device issue is replicated in those circumstances as well.

As is often recommended, I've tried a bunch of different USB cables and none seem better than another. I use the same cables on my Arduino Due with no problem.

edit: I've also tried uploading via the IDE, Atom, and VSCode but the bootloader issue exists on all three. Same for the sketch being uploaded, I've tried a large number of sketches and most seem to encounter the issue frequently.

kaleun96

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.