Metro Express Locked on Same Blinker
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro Express Locked on Same Blinker

by rcam on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Greetings,

I am new to this forum and hope that if my issue has already been discussed, someone would be kind enough to direct me to where the resolution resides.
My M4 Express issue: I loaded a blinker program to this board and haven't been able to reload any other code. I have downloaded and installed the latest available boot loader to no avail. I have tried this on a Windows 7 - 64 bit and Mac OS Catalina. Is this little guy bricked?
I am not new to either Python or single board controllers, and this little problem has me stumped. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

rcam

Re: Metro Express Locked on Same Blinker

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:00 am

If the board is still running the same code, the microcontroller is still alive.

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer. There's a plague of charge-only cables with USB connectors at both ends but no wires for the data signals.

Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value. It's become normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one that would work. You need the true positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

by rcam on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:03 am

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I changed USB cables with a cable I used to synch my android phone. the green light is still oscillating at the same rate as before. It seems that same code is still stuck. I have changed both the CircuitPython to that latest most stable version and the bootloader as well. Should I invest in a different one? Other than using the ISP plug, I am not sure how to correct its firmware. I do have an AVR ISP for some Arduino work I have done in the past. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

rcam

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 pm

Try uploading some code from the Arduino IDE with 'verbose messages during upload' enabled in the preferences. The code doesn't need to be anything special.. the Blink example will be fine.

After trying an upload, post the contents of the debug pane between CODE tags. That will give us some more information about what's happening.

adafruit_support_mike

by rcam on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello there,

Per your suggestions, I did load a simple blinker program from the Arduino IDE and loaded perfectly after two tries. Then, after I reloaded the booloader and CircuitPython, the Metro M4 Express was able to load and run any application I threw at it. Thank you for having me load a simple program via Arduino, though I learned several things regarding the CircuitPython implementation and its way to load/edit programs on the target board, I still don't understand why the Metro would not allow any other code changes. However, I have run through a number of exercises to test it repeatability and the one thing I haven't found an explanation for is the fact that the amber LED marked TX seems to be present on only in a couple of programs I have loaded.

Thank you again for your excellent support, we'll be ordering a couple more Metro M4 for evaluation in our project.

Regards,

rcam

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.