I know Im dumb. Optiboot inital string?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

I know Im dumb. Optiboot inital string?

by TenderKen on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:06 pm

But I'm trying to learn. I have an Arduino Metro, connected to Arduino IDE. I can see it, port 6, I see it in device manager, but I have no idea how to get the preloaded bootloader Optiboot started. First Arduino, self-teaching. Halp!

TenderKen

Re: I know Im dumb. Optiboot inital string?

by westfw on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:58 pm

optiboot is activated when the AVR gets a hardware reset, either via the reset signal, the reset button, or via the "auto-reset circuit" whenever the serial port is opened. You should see 3 quick flashes of the L led that indicate the bootloader is running...

Normally, Optiboot only runs for about one second, and jumps to the application code if it doesn't see "upload activity" on the serial port. So it's not really something you can expect to poke at manually.

The normal operation is that the Arduino IDE opens the serial port (which causes a reset), optiboot starts, and then the IDE immediately starts sending upload commands.

westfw

by User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 pm

The Metro M4 Express, if that's what you're using, doesn't have typical Arduino serial port behavior because the port is implemented in software rather than hardware.

Also, you'll need to install the Adafruit board support package if you haven't already done so. See the instructions for this at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-m4-express-featuring-atsamd51?view=all#setup.

Once that's done you should update the boot loader if it isn't at 3.9.0 or higher. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-m4-express-featuring-atsamd51?view=all#update-the-uf2-bootloader for instructions.

Once you've done both of those tasks, go to Tools->Port in the Arduino IDE. If your system doesn't see any devices, you can a) double click the reset button on the Metro board or b) disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. After attempting one of these solutions, go back to Tools->Port and see if anything is listed.

When building in the IDE,make sure you have the right device type selected [Tools->Board = Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51)].

User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8

by westfw on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 pm

(Optiboot is only relevant to the Metro 328. If you have a Metro M0 or Metro M4, things work entirely differently.)

westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.